Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleaning Advice  (Read 1320 times)

Offline SeptimusT

• Praetorian
Cleaning Advice
« on: March 24, 2017, 06:05:41 pm »
Found this in a lot of uncleaned from the Balkans. From the look of it, it's probably one of the usual suspects, but the quality and detail is very nice... the facial features were revealed during an initial rubbing, when a large chunk of debris flaked off. The remaining dirt is very hard. Situation is the same on the reverse, but without enough showing to determine type. What would be a recommended route to getting this cleaned up? Soaking, or will it need mechanical cleaning?

Toothpick and brush aren't producing any results, and I want to try to preserve the detail. I can see much more detail in the hair and features than shows up in the image.

Thanks!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Cleaning Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 06:26:07 pm »
Maybe both.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 10:17:27 am »
Try bamboo skewer, which is toucher than toothpick.  You can shape the end too with a knife.   Keep up the soaks and pick away between.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 11:22:07 am »
In my opinion, that big chunk falling cleanly away is a good sign that the coin can be saved. Make a sharp edge on the bamboo pick and stick it under an ege of the deposit and flick upward. If that doesn't work, a scalpel with a binocular scope may be necessary. Give it a LONG soak in distilled water first, maybe a week.
Good luck.
PeteB

Offline SeptimusT

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 02:51:46 pm »
Thank you for your help. I'll post an update with results if anything good comes of it. In the meantime, I'm just going to be patient. I have a few others in the lot that are turning out equally nice.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity