Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Leo III constantine V solidus identification  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Emmanuel P

• Legionary
Leo III constantine V solidus identification
« on: March 12, 2017, 03:39:53 pm »
Hello !!!
I am new on this forum and I would be grateful if I could have help from experts discussing her.
I ve aquired recently a solidus from Leo III/Constantine V (see attached pictures). The coin was certified authentic by the seller but I start to have some doubts.
The coins is described with the following references: Sear 1504, DO 7e & BMC10. I searched the web for similar solidus specimens but I was not able to find a single example with the same legend. On my coin once can read C D N LEO NPAMUL Z but the reported legends are always C N D LEO NPAMUL Z. What do you think ? Is it an authentic coin with an antic graving mistake or is it a modern fake ?
I ve bought the solidus for a very high price at a numismatic sale/exhibition (I guess I didn't take time to think about twice before buying) and now I am regretting it.
Would be great if you could give me some hints.

Thanks a lot !!!

Emmanuel

Offline Emmanuel P

• Legionary
Re: Leo III constantine V solidus identification
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 12:18:30 pm »
Well I was expectecting a bit more attention on a discussion forum dedicated to coins. As coin collector I was hoping too much from a collector community. Maybe I am too foolish to have bought such a coin and subsequently expect any help especially if its a common solidus (fake or not) without any challenge in the identification.

Regards,

Emmanuel

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 12:51:08 pm »
The first two places I would look are in FORVM's "FAKE COIN REPORTS" gallery to see if a similar coin is listed.  If you find an exact die match there, it may indicate a problem.

As for attribution or seeing if similar legends are known, WILDWINDS.COM can be a good resource.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 02:26:30 pm »

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 02:57:39 pm »
Your coin reads dON in stead of dNO, which means the engraver has switched N and O. A letter switch is the most common engraving error on ancient coins, and someone willing may find dozens of examples of this. An engraving error is no reason to start having authenticity doubts.
Regards
Gert

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 04:00:40 pm »
Thanks Pekka....I forget about ACSEARCH as for whatever reason, I don't seem to use it that often myself.

Craig

Offline Emmanuel P

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 03:55:08 pm »
Hello,

Thanks to you all for the answers !!!
It's kind from you to have taken time to reply !

Best

Emmanuel

All coins are guaranteed for eternity