Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 19th Century Gymnastics Medal  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
19th Century Gymnastics Medal
« on: December 22, 2015, 11:55:53 am »
    I know this does not qualify as an 'antiquity' but I found it years ago in an ancient coin dealers 'junk box' and it has lots of items of ancient symbolism and some Latin (I think).  I initially though I would be able to easily assign it to its probable place of origin.  Somehow I thought it was going to be from an early Olympics.  Years later I still don't have a clue where it came from.  On the obverse is a design of 8 heraldic shields with patriarchal crosses between and very very tiny letters between the shields  reading from 1: o'clock,   S P R S M O R . N O N I N U I T U.  I could have the legend in incorrect order.  In the outer field are 4 devices that are crossed standards bound with a fillet, one ending in a trident and the other in a hand.  The other device is crossed palms (I think) and a banner reading 'ESPERACE'.   On the reverse is a group of gymnastic equipment with crossed fencing epees below. And the legend ,SOUVENIR'.   It is made of brass or perhaps brass plated pot metal.  Any ideas as to origin??  Thanks in advance

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: 19th Century Gymnastics Medal
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 12:40:04 pm »

Maybe the Latin is read like in this medal:

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 04:10:36 pm »
You are right. Thanks.  The tiny letters in medieval letterforms was very hard to make out and it was not clear where the legend started.   It starts on the lower left.   .NON INSULTUS PREMOR. So where do we go from there?  On the 8 heraldic shield, the top one has a Jerusalem Cross.  The one at 6 o'clock appears to have two fish and crosses.  The others are various combinations of lions rampant, bars and Fleur de Lis.  No thistles.  Then there are the two heraldic shields on the banners on the reverse.  One seems emblazoned with 6 crowns, the other may be eagles.  So small.   Unfortunately the details on the globe on the obverse are gone.  So are we in France?

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 04:14:33 pm »
oops!  NON INVLTIS.   No 'insult' intended.

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 05:06:07 pm »
oops again,  Yes, Thistles.  Upon close examination there are thistles above the coats of arms.  Details are actually clearer enlarged in the image than in hand.  But what is it with those hands and tridents?

Offline Cassius

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 07:20:56 pm »
Thanks to the initial clue, I think I have it cracked:  It is a 'Souvenir' medal from a gymnastic tournament held in Alsace-Loraine c. 1900-1914.   The crests on the reverse are Alsace-Loraine.   The crests on the obverse also are components of Alsace-Loraine.  German 'turnvereins' were nationalistic 'gymnastic' organizations in 'Lotharingia' as it was called 1871-1918.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity