Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unpublished (?) Yehud Drachm  (Read 5465 times)

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Unpublished (?) Yehud Drachm
« on: June 22, 2011, 06:34:19 pm »
I came across the following Yehud coin that I'd never seen before.  Due to my lack of numismatic literature, this coin may have been published without my knowing.

I note its legend is in early Aramaic :Judean_rosh_1: :Judean_hey_3: :Judean_yad_4:, not the regular YHD style (:Judean_rosh_3: :Judean_hey_1: :Judean_yad_4:).
I note that interestingly the first letter in the inscription seems like a monogram of  :Judean_hey_1: and :Judean_yad_4:.  I have seen a similar monogram in AJCMeshorer describes the coin as Philisto-Arabian, with a YHD monogram
The second letter is hard to read, but i'm assuming it looks like the letter He (ה) from the British Museum Drachm, whose script style is nearly identical.

This may suggest a connection between these two coin issues - perhaps they are early.

I was recently reading Shenkar's "The Coin of the ‘God on the Winged Wheel’".
In it, Shenkar suggests that if the reading of the Aramaic inscription on the BM Drachm reads YHD, the coin was likely minted in Jerusalem or Philistia, and the seated diety is the G-d of Israel.  If the inscription has a W (Vav) instead of a D (Dalet), then the coin likely was minted in Samaria and the seated deity is likely the Samaritan G-d.
I think the new coin seems to suggest that the inscription is YHD, because there is no seated deity that accompanies the inscription.  On the side of the inscription, there seems to be a lion attaking a bull.
On the Menorah Coin Project, this coin is listed as YHD01.  It is notable that this coin is a drachm, which further suggests a relation with the BM coin.

Thoughts? Has this coin been published?  If so, what is written about this coin?
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
Re: Unpublished (?) Yehud Drachm
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 10:35:52 pm »
This coin is published in Hendin's 5th Edition. (Hendin 1046) It is unique. He writes that the coin is probably from the fourth century BC, with Philistine iconography, placing the mint in Gaza since there were no local mints during this period. It is perhaps the "earliest known coin of Judah."

AR quarter sheqel, 3.54 g.
OBV: Facing Gorgoneion with curls in shape of snakes.
REV: yhd above lion facing left, on top of recumbant bovine, head turned, within guilloche border and incuse square.

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 10:57:17 pm »
This coin is published in Hendin's 5th Edition. (Hendin 1046) It is unique. He writes that the coin is probably from the fourth century BC, with Philistine iconography, placing the mint in Gaza since there were no local mints during this period. It is perhaps the "earliest known coin of Judah."

AR quarter sheqel, 3.54 g.
OBV: Facing Gorgoneion with curls in shape of snakes.
REV: yhd above lion facing left, on top of recumbant bovine, head turned, within guilloche border and incuse square.
Thanks.  Quite an interesting piece.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 05:33:03 pm »
Aarmale,
  Thanks by the way for identifying my unknown Hasmonean coin in my gallery.   

Danny

All coins are guaranteed for eternity