Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Indetification help required  (Read 1254 times)

Vitaliy S

Indetification help required
« on: November 20, 2021, 09:17:00 am »
Good day to everyone,
I'm required a bit of advance,  how I can indetificat coins I'm found.
This coin been discovered over west Ukraine on border with Moldova and Romania.
I been looking everywhere and can't find another one like this.
It is similar to it but not the same as is completely different story.
Also will nice to know what potential value of this coin?
Weight -15.45g
Diameter-28-30mm
Thickness 3-4mm

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Indetification help required
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 11:57:01 am »
I wonder if this is one of the countless Thasos imitations. But for this we need to see the other side.

Vitaliy S

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 12:15:53 pm »
Attached

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 01:39:48 pm »
The legend says BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ BYPEBIΣTOY ΓETΩN thus claiming that the coin is from the Dacian king Burebista: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burebista

But I never heard that he minted coins in this style, so in my eyes this is a modern fake :-\.

Regards

Altamura

Vitaliy S

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 01:44:45 pm »
Nice)) and someone hide in forest in depth of half a meter))
Good opinion you are expert ))

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 06:04:17 pm »
I known you are new here but there is no need to be rude and insulting.  If you continue you will likely be kicked out of here.

Someone is offering you an opinion.  It might not be correct, and it is just the start of a discussion, but it is an opinion coming from a long time member.

You are brand new.  Those of us that have been here for years have literally seen dozens and dozens of people who register and show us a coin which they swear they found, or their brother found, or their mother's hairdresser's neighbor's cousin found but which is totally and obviously fake.  That is why people are sometimes suspicious.

That doesn't mean your coin has been condemned to be fake.  So please stick around, be more polite and enter into a discussion about this coin, and maybe others you have.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 06:55:42 pm »
Similar types are usually described as Geto-Dacian coins imitating tetradrachms of Thasos

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4584940

Legend is intriguing but I can't say if this specimen is authentic (not my area of expertise).
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 02:59:18 am »
Style and impossible inscription is sufficient.
A forgery without doubts

Regards
Klaus

Vitaliy S

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 06:35:02 pm »
Another expert)) agree if someone did 2000 years ago. I don't see many help advice here. Better if you don't know don't put your comments. This coin I dig from the ground in forest and I don't believe is fake as is no sense on this to me and what is chance someone make fake coin 2000 years ago.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 07:38:20 pm »
Vitaliy, MANY MANY time we have had people post fake coins here claiming they dug them up. Sometimes maybe they did dig them up, still fake. We don't care about stories. We base opinions on the coins only. I believe this type is unknown to exist. If real, it would be a highly desirable coin, but that is unlikely. You will not find anyone to authenticate it here. Nobody would authenticate this coin based on a photo alone. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Vitaliy S

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 08:50:48 pm »
If  you read  my first post here, I would like identify this coin somehow and this what I needed! I needed advice how to do it. I don't needed people here post rubbish is fake or another bulsheet. When I did this post I was hoping people here can give proper support- advice how I can find this out. I'm not asking is fake or not. I ask help how I can identify this coin. This coin actually describe in Romanian book in 1980 but without photo.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 09:59:17 pm »
This coin actually describe in Romanian book in 1980 but without photo.

Could you, please, present here scan of the relevant page from this book (or this is only another story).
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 02:53:27 am »
... Could you, please, present here scan of the relevant page from this book ...
Or at least a detailed reference to it.

In Romania there are museums with numismatic collections and some experts for ancient coins, did you already show them the coin and ask them? And if so, what did they say?

Regards

Altamura

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2021, 11:03:54 pm »
If  you read  my first post here, I would like identify this coin somehow and this what I needed! I needed advice how to do it. I don't needed people here post rubbish is fake or another bulsheet. When I did this post I was hoping people here can give proper support- advice how I can find this out. I'm not asking is fake or not. I ask help how I can identify this coin. This coin actually describe in Romanian book in 1980 but without photo.

We really don't care at all if you are asking if it is fake or not. I think you should go away.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Vitaliy S

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2021, 05:37:43 pm »
I don't ask if is fake or not! Read first then open your mouth! You probably can't read English. Then shut up

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2021, 06:54:07 pm »
Bye bye.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 06:04:06 am »
He has asked the same question before on another forum got the same answer "fantasy" and members there recommended to ask here.
The pictures there are better and could be so interesting if someone plans to do fake report.

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic114477.html

And this findings made by metaldetectorists in Ukraine (I mean the official notification of responsible administration about find context) can be fake, too.
No one can and is controlling if they are real or not.
You can find sometimes 2 different findings (different find location) for one and the same coin, it should be clear that then at least on must be fake.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2021, 08:02:59 am »
I don't blame anybody for being naive and faith that his fake coin is a precious find. But being rude and lying is unforgivable.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2021, 09:09:43 am »
...The pictures there are better and could be so interesting if someone plans to do fake report.
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic114477.html
[/quote]

Please submit a report if you are confident the coin is fake. (Anyone can do it.)
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity