Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Same Coins But Different Die Rotation?  (Read 332 times)

Offline VOTman

• Praetorian
Same Coins But Different Die Rotation?
« on: July 03, 2021, 06:26:51 pm »
I received some purchased coins and then attributed them.  Other than patina I was a little saddened to find that two coins are exactly the same, right down to the mint and field marks (photo of one coin attached).  I then discovered that despite them being the same, their die rotation is opposite each other.  One coin is 12h/12h while the other is 12h/6h.

Should the same coin have a reversed die rotation from another of the exact same?

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Same Coins But Different Die Rotation?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 09:56:31 pm »
Dear Ken P & Board,

Don't worry!  The die axis of a particular ancient coin issue can be strictly controlled, very wonky, or somewhere in between.  It really depends on who is minting the coin.  A few Roman provincial examples:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/3904

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/1332

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/9/417

Note that nearly all the recorded specimens of the last issue were struck from a single pair of dies! 

I was just thinking now about the 12h/6h situations where some control was obviously being exercised.  In some cases I can see a 180 degree shift in die orientation happening when either the hammer or anvil die is being replaced or when one worker wants to take a break and hands the hammer die over to a colleague across from him.  Think about this closely.  If it was just the die he was handing over, a change in die axis may or may not happen.  But if it was being held by a pair of tongs or some other kind of stabilizing instrument, then the die shift would have to be 180 degrees if Minter #2 was trying to be a mirror of Minter #1.  Interesting.       

Anyway, I hope this helps a little.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline VOTman

• Praetorian
Re: Same Coins But Different Die Rotation?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 08:11:48 am »
Thanks so much Mark for taking the time to find examples and explain things for me.  I do appreciate that!
For centuries the Romans were great with coin standardization, I would have thought that would include die axis too.  One is always learning.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity