Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is this Julius Ceasar fake? Please help...  (Read 773 times)

Offline Jan K2

• Auxiliary
Is this Julius Ceasar fake? Please help...
« on: July 03, 2021, 12:07:00 pm »
Hello to everybody,

I am confused by this denarius, Julius Ceasar, military mint. It has been offered by a reputable auction house, weight is 3,74 g. However, I am confused by the die. It look very different to all what I have seen. I have even checked many photos of fake coins. I was not successful to find such a coin in literature, or coin archives etc.

May I ask the experts here, if this coin is a fake?

Thank you in advance for your help

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
Re: Is this Julius Ceasar fake? Please help...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 09:15:36 pm »
It appears to me that the elephant is trampling an upside down boot?  I would be shocked if this was authentic, more like a poor quality replica.

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 08:38:45 am »
Well I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I agree with Jan - Looks to be crude fake. BTW - these are faked a lot, so I would really study known genuine examples for comparison.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 09:20:35 am »
Have you looked for a match in the fake coin reports?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jan K2

• Auxiliary
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 09:43:27 am »
Thank you for all your comments.

Yes, I tried to find such a coin in the fake reports here, but I was not successful. Actually, I have not find any similar coin anywhere in the internet. The auctioneer is a big Austrian auction house with very good reputation, thats why I am confused. I would trust them not to offer such a fake coin. THe elephant, the snake, but also the reverse look very different in comparison to the known dies of the coins from the miliary mint::)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 09:50:52 am »
The blurry pics are distracting. That is a very strange coin.  I suppose it could be an ancient imitative or counterfeit but I think it is much more likely a modern fake. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity