Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pretty badly tooled denarius  (Read 811 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Pretty badly tooled denarius
« on: June 24, 2021, 06:22:04 pm »
This one for sale by a well known seller.  Such a shame, very obviously tooled - and poorly done at that.  It's too bad, because even in fair condition this is a really rare issue - now it's just another tooled coin.  Pretty obvious around the obverse legend, but I suspect both legends are touched up.

My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline antesignanvm

• Consul
  • I REALLY love this forum!
Re: Pretty badly tooled denarius
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 04:10:43 am »
I don't think it is tooled, there are many scratches on it but I doubt they are due a bad cleaning because are on all the surface.
---In front of the insigna---

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 07:47:24 am »
Bad cleaning that just happens to make the letters way more visible than they were.  Hmmm.

I suspect that the actual surface was removed/lowered to make the letters look like that.

It may be technicality, but to me that it the distinction.  Removal of stuff above the original surface is cleaning - alteration of the original surface/metal is tooling.  And I think this one crosses the line, or at minimum is sitting on the fence having a laugh at us all.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 12:02:06 pm »
To me it appears as if the fields have been clumsily scraped.  I doubt there there is any original surface left on this coin.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 01:15:22 pm »
There is likely some original surface in the low points of the portraits, but I generally agree with your diagnosis.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 08:31:58 am »
...have been clumsily scraped.
I agree. Cleaning can be a long and tedious process. Looks like this one was done by a real amateur. This is a Caracalla that took weeks to clean.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity