Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anaximander's Gallery  (Read 20428 times)

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Kamarina-Katana: Anaximander's Gallery
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2019, 07:48:10 am »
A bronze for Kamarina  and a silver for Katana are next.  

Kamarina (Camarina) was founded on the Southern coast of Sicily -and then destroyed- by Syracuse in the 6th C. BC. It was refounded by Gela in 461 BC, only to be razed anew, this time by Carthage. Not a happy history, and little now remains of the old city.  I rather like the tetra shown below (1/4th of a litra, so 3 onkia and thus the three pellets). One of the older coins in my collection, it is quite common. While I saw around eight examples of this bronze type in Forum member galleries, examples of silver coinage from Kamarina are few and far between. Still, some day I hope to manage one.  

Kamarina (Καμάρινα). c. 420-410 BC. AE Tetrantes (1/4 litra = 3 onkia) or "Tetras" (3.29 gm). Head of Athena l. in Attic helmet, with crest and wing. / Owl stdg facing, grasping lizard in talons, ΑΜΑꓘ to r. Three pellets (value mark) in exergue.  EF.  CNG 46 #79. SNG ANS 3 #1230; SNG Cop 1 #169; SNG Lloyd 882; SNG Munich 419; HGC 2 #548; McClean 2160; Jenkins & Westermark Kamarina #198 (Period 3); Calciati CNS III 61, #28ff.

Katane (modern Catania) was a Chalkidian colony founded from Naxos in 729 BC on the east coast of Sicily at the foot of Mount Etna.  Allied to the Athenians, Leontini appealed to Katana when attacked by Syracuse, but they still lost.  I found only one Greek silver coin of Katana (or Catana/Catania) in the member galleries, but of course there's the epic beauty of Tracy Aiello's Roman Imperatorial coin of Sextus Pompey, which features Pompey the Great and Neptune with Catanaean Brothers, Amphinomos and Anapias, who earned their fame by carried off their aged parents on their shoulders when Etna erupted.  

Katane (Κατάνη). 450-445 BC. AR Tetradrachm (16.96 gm). Slow quadriga r. / Laureate head of Apollo r. KATANAI-ON.  gVF.  Pegasi A17 #36. SNG ANS 3 #1245 (same dies) #1244 (obv. die) & #1246 (rev. die); Basel 324 (same obv. die); Gulbenkian 177 (same obv. die); HGC 2 #566; Kraay & Hirmer 35 (same obv. die); Mirone 34 (same obv. die); Rizzo pl. X, 3 (same obv. die); SNG Cop 1 #176; SNG Lloyd 892 (same obv. die).

Anaximander
Link to my Sicilian gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Leontini: Anaximander's Gallery
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2019, 08:22:44 am »
Leontini has to be my favorite Sicilian city-state for its emission of silver coinage. I've even used the lion head on one of the coins (yes, the lion is a pun on the city's name) for my gallery photo for Sicily. Colonized by Naxos and Chalcis (of Euboea) in the late 8th C., Leontini was an inland city on the eastern part of Sicily, near Syracuse.  Here are my two:

Leontini. 455-430 BC. AR Tetradrachm (17.13 gm). Laureate head of Apollo r. with hair rolled up and bound with wreath. / Head of lion r. w/ open jaw, four barley ears around. LE-O-NT-INO-N.  EF.  Pegasi XV #35. Same dies: SNG ANS 4 #225; Rizzo pl. XXIII #4; Triton XIII #37. Same obv. dies: Boehringer #37; SNG Fitzwilliam 1053; SNG Lloyd 1054; SNG Lockett 797. Same rev. die: Gulbenkian 217. cf. HGC 2 #667; Basel 349; Dewing 624-628; Gillet 444; SNG Cop 346-348.

Leontini. 455-430 BC. AR Tetradrachm (17.07 gm). Laureate head of Apollo l. with hair rolled up and bound with wreath. / Head of lion l. w/ open jaw, three barley ears around, laurel leaf behind. LEO-NTI-NON.  EF.  SNG ANS 4 #257 (same dies), #256 (same obv. die); Boehringer Münzgeschichte pl. 12 #55 (same dies); Rizzo pl. XXIIII #4 (same dies); SNG Lloyd 1063; SNG München 559 (same dies); HGC 2 #671. cf. NAC 106 #180 & 114 #53 (same dies).

Anaximander
Link to my Sicilian gallery

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Anaximander's Gallery
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2019, 11:30:08 am »

Quality coins from a great mint and island.

You have a remarkable collection.

John
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Zankle-Messene-Messana: Anaximander's Gallery
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2019, 12:22:28 pm »
Messana is known for its hares.  Fits right in with the Sicilian city states featuring their menagerie of boars, bulls, eagles, crabs, roosters, lions, donkeys, dolphins, owls, and octopi.  You can find several nice examples in the member galleries. Here's my drove of hares:

Messana. Tyranny of Anaxilas. 480-462/1 BC. AR Tetradrachm (17.07 gm). Biga of mules r. with seated charioteer; laurel leaf in ex. / Hare bounding r. MESSENION (SS not retrograde).  gVFPegasi V #63. SNG ANS 4 #318 (same rev. die); Caltabiano 1993 Series IIb #77 (D41/R40); Dewing #640 (same dies); Randazzo 105-106 (same dies); HGC 2 #779. cf. SNG Cop 4 #389-390 (SS not retrograde); CNG EA 301 #3 (same dies); CBG.fr M43 #385760 (same dies); Roma Num. E2 #33 (same dies). daverino has a nice example with nike crowning the donkeys, a type introduced by Anaxilas to celebrate his victory in the races at the Olymics of 480 or 484 BC.

Messana. 480-462/1 BC. AR Tetradrachm (17.14 gm). Biga of mules r. with seated charioteer; laurel leaf in ex. / Hare bounding r., pellet below. ΜΕSSΕ-N-ΙΩN (both sigmas and nus retrograde).  VF.   Pegasi V #63. SNG ANS 4 #314; Caltabiano 1993 Series IIb 52 similar to (D28/R22 or R38); Dewing 641 (same obv. die)/636. HGC 3 #779 (same obv. die). SNG Fitzwilliam 1067. Cf SNG Cop 1 #390 (no pellet); Bement 405 (SS not retrograde); Randazzo 105-106 (same).
EB has one in his collection; perhaps we'll see it appear in the Forum store soon.

Messana. 412-408 BC. AR Tetradrachm (16.8 gm). Biga of mules driven l. by nymph Messana, Nike overhead with wreath & taenia. Ex: two dolphins meeting. / Hare bounding l., grain ear below, dove above. Ex: ΜΕΣΣΑΝΙΩΝ.  VF.  Pegasi 127 #53. ex-William N. Rudman Coll., Triton V #1193 (this coin). SNG ANS 4 #367/378. Same dies: SNG Cop 1 #405; Caltabiano series XV 623 (D223/R249); Nantueil 303; Triton XX #62. Same obv. die: HGC 3 #801; Davis 40; Kraay-Hirmer pl. 19 #61; Pozzi 492; Rizzo pl. XXVII, 7; SNG Fitzwilliam 1081; SNG Lockett 831. SNG Munchen 660; NAC 33 #78 & 52 #45. cf. Boeringer SNR 57 p. 136f. This one is a 'mule' several times over! The mule on the obverse is found on SNG ANS 367 and its hare reverse on 378. Minos has a beautiful example in his Greeks gallery.

Anaximander

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2019, 02:37:23 pm »
I really like your Gallery  +++ ;)

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Naxos: Anaximander's Gallery
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2019, 04:03:10 pm »
Thanks, quadrans.  I appreciate the comments.  ;D  All those years at Flickr and nary a comment or like. :'( This forum is so much more fun.

Naxos coinage is scarce.  How scarce, you ask:  there's only one that pops up on a search of the Forum member galleries.  I've managed only a small silver, a litra, one distantly related to the one for sale in the Forum Shop right now.  What we all want is the Dionysus/Silenus tetradrachm, the epitome of the best of Greek numismatics.  Yeah. That'll happen.  ::)

Sicily, Naxos.  530-510 BC.  AR Litra (0.73 gm).  Archaic head of Dionysus, hair beaded, l. /  Bunch of grapes, ͶΟΙΧΑͶ (ΝΑΧΙΟΝ in retrograde).  VF.  SNG ANS 4 #513; HGC 2 #967; Cahn Naxos p. 106, plate I #21 (V14/R20); Campana CNAI Naxos #2; Jameson 671; Pozzi 504-505; SNG Lockett 839; Rizzo pl. XXVIII, 5; SNG Cop -; SNG Lloyd 1149; SNG Lockett 839.

This one will go up in my gallery shortly.

Anaximander

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Selinus, Syracuse, & SNG ANS TOC: Anaximander's Gallery
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2019, 12:05:54 pm »
I loaded my four Selinos coins, a table of contents ("TOC") for SNG ANS parts 1-9, and the first of my Syracusan coinage into my gallery.

The Selinos (Σελινοῦς) coins include a cast bronze "tooth," an archaic stater with the selinon leaf (a local plant from which, arguably, the city was named), and two tetradrachms.  

The TOC for SNG ANS is a pdf found here with a listing of the mints/ruling authorities for each of the nine volumes, beginning with Etruria and finishing with Bactria.

Lastly, I kicked off my upload of Syracusan coins with a tetradrachm of Hieron I, the Deinomenid Tyranny. More to come.

Anaximander

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2019, 02:09:59 am »
WOW !! a very impressive collection !! congratulations !!
my favorite is the tetradrachm of Himera , I really love it. It's a coin well placed on my wishlist ...

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2019, 06:16:11 am »
Merci beaucoup, Brennos.  :)  I must say, you have stunning coins from Syracuse that are on my own wish list.  I so very much want a tetradrachm with Arethusa's hair flowing free... 

Anaximander

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2019, 07:15:19 am »
Syracuse accounts for nearly half my collection of coins of Sicily, but is the last city I have to upload to my Sicily gallery. And now that I've posted my three tetradrachms from 5th C. Syracuse (Συράκουσαι), it's time for the piece de resistance:  the Syracusan dekadrachm, such as it is.  The obverse for the Gallatin Series F issue were all plagued by die rust. So there you have it, warts and all. It's only the second dekadrachm in the Forum's member galleries, as best I can tell, other than the reproductions, and the only one from Syracuse.

Anaximander  

Sicily, Syracuse, Second Democracy & Dionysios I. 400-390 BC. AR Dekadrachm (42.64 gm). Fast quadriga driven l., crowned by Nike flying r. above; ex: panoply of armor, spear behind. / Head of Arethusa l., hair wreathed; four dolphins around, scallop shell behind. [ΣꓦΡΑΚΟΣΙΩΝ]. Unsigned die in the style of Euainetos.  nVF/gVF.  SNG ANS 5 #370 (same dies); Dewing 907-908 (same dies); Gallatin series F: O.VIII-R.F.I #1-2 (same dies); HGC 2 #1299. cf Triton VII #91.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2019, 08:16:08 am »
A work of art!

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2019, 05:45:24 pm »
Wow, you coins are amazingly sweet! (awesome collection)

+++ :o +++

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2019, 08:20:43 am »
That might be the best coin I’ve ever seen posted on here from a member’s personal collection.  Question: Do you sleep with it at night, or is it just on the bed stand?

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2019, 08:10:30 pm »
Thank you kindly  :). It started out under the pillow, but it was too big of a hard lump, so off to the nightstand it went  :P.

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Sicily & Macedon Galleries: Anaximander's Gallery
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2019, 10:23:27 am »
I've finished posting my corpus nummorum siculorum (Sicilian gallery). The last few posts have, unsurprisingly, all been coins of Syracuse.  Here's a couple highlights.  

Then it's off to the wilds of Macedon, beginning with the handful of towns/cities in the collection, before wandering off to the Argead Dynasty.
And here's a start: one tetradrachm and two tetrobols of Akanthos.

Anaximander

PS: Link to my Sicilian gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Macedon: Anaximander's Gallery
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2019, 09:30:56 am »
My coins of Macedon are going up on the members' gallery. Finished up the last of the cities (filmstrip b) and now all the cataloging and photos for the Macedonian kings (highlights of the early kings on the filmstrip c). Animal lovers rejoice! Here be horses, lions, goats, and eagles.  

These include my latest acquisition: a Trihemiobol (0.38 gm) of Olynthos, a Chalkidian League coin, and one of my earliest, a Pentadrachm (10.64 gm) of Aigai or Pella mint for Archelaos.

Anaximander
Link to my Macedon gallery

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2019, 03:35:54 pm »
Some great coin, downloading in your gallery...

+++

Q.
My Gallery

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2019, 10:58:15 am »
Wow, your collection is outstanding! (beautiful stuff)

:o +++ :o

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2019, 09:32:15 am »
Thanks, Steve P and quadrans. The fruits of 25+ years of collecting, and having fun in sharing them.  ;D

My recent cataloging of Macedonian coins has yielded some small surprises, like the posthumous Philip II coins (posthumous? who knew!) and a Celtic imitation of a Philip III.  

I'm including a couple of 'filmstrips' below that are my greatest hits of later Macedonian kings, from Philip II onwards, pictures now going up on the member gallery. Soon to go up: a purported Rhodes-like drachm for Perseus that would have been used to pay Creten mercenaries for the Third Macedonian War.  Conjectural attribution, but with some merit; lovely coin regardless.

I'm rounding out the series with a couple tetradrachms from the early period of Roman rule.

Anaximander

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2019, 09:24:32 pm »
I always enjoy seeing the additions to your gallery

Offline Arslan

• Consul
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2019, 09:04:30 pm »
Lovely collection,

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2019, 04:23:35 am »
Wow, Another great group...   +++

Q.
My Gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2019, 08:58:03 am »
It's a redo. A Mulligan:  I've recataloged and photographed my Baktria gallery here and am in the midst of the upload.  There's about 70 coins in all.  

I've made consistent use of an old reference, Michael Mitchiner's Indo-Greek and Indo-Scythian Coinage (MIG), along with Bopeararchchi's several, more recent, works.  The nine-volume MIG is still useful.  The first three volumes cover the Hellenistic coinage of the Indo-Greeks.  

I retook the photographs using a new background, something other than white or black, as you can see below.

I also have a new addition:  a Menander I AR Tetradrachm, one with a heroic pose and an uncommon subtype.

Cheers!
Anaximander

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2019, 03:51:07 pm »
I'm accumulating numismatic reference books as I go. I've prepared a handful of Tables of Contents (TOCs) to help where none was provided, and these are also uploaded to my gallery.  As for my books, I'm not sure how to show them.  If anyone has examples of how numismatists share the titles in their library, I'm all ears. 

Here's one way to share your library.  This is a wide shot of a portion of my numismatic library.  Closeup pictures of individual shelves would be more readable.

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2019, 04:10:38 pm »
I think a wide shot like Carausius' above is cool, and then perhaps supplemented by a Librarything account, like mine here...

https://www.librarything.com/catalog/Enodia&tag=Numismatics&collection=-1

- Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity