Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carausius and Allectus  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Carausius and Allectus
« on: December 05, 2004, 03:38:50 pm »
I've just recieved a copy of PJ Casey, 'Carusius and Allectus: the British Userpers' (Yale University Press, 1994); its £60 from Spink, and has been on my want list for ages, but I got lucky and found a second-hand copy. Excellent book, I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the British secessionist empire. If anyone's read it (I could probably name the ones who have!) I'd be interested to know what you think of his analysis of the coin types.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re:Carausius and Allectus
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 07:07:03 am »
I have the greatest respect for John Casey.

It is true to say that we do not necessarily agree on certain aspects of numismatics, archaeology and ancient history but that leads to a healthy debate and stimulating conversations.

This book on Carausius and Allectus is excellent as being a readily accessible single volume work that draws together both the archaeological and historical evidence for the reign of these usurpers. Although the price tag is quite high it is much better presented and produced than the difficult to find "Episode of Carausius and Allectus" by Norman Shiel (whose thesis John, I believe, supervised), although that book too is a very worthwhile read.

What I particularly like about this book are the extracts from the contemporary or near contemporary texts as well as how the reign of C and A was written about through history (Geoffrey of Monmouth, Gildas etc as well as the beginnings of serious antiquarian study in the 18th century). Given my interest in this aspect I was very glad to find a copy of De Peyster's 19th century work on Carausius (many thanks to Lee Toone).

The arrangement of the mint marks for the C and L mints presented in this book has recently been modified by Malcolm Lyne (Numismatic Chronicle 2003) but only the proposed dates of issue have changed slightly I think for the C mint (working from memory here).

The cross tabulation by reverse legend does need some modification as I think that by the time you get over to Allectus an erroneous entry or two has crept in. As the foreword to a new book that I have been asked to write, I am updating this presentation of reverse types by mintmark for the coins of Carausius at least. This is some way off though yet.

I like the acceptance in this book that the XXI marked radiate coins (not just of Carausius but all later "aureliani") are not two denarius pieces but rather four denarius pieces on the basis of an unpublished fragment of a known coinage inscription. I have tried to do justice to the bicharactam pecunia on my website but am missing a photo of the new piece of inscription, I do at least have a copy of John's notes and certainly for post 300 AD but probably before the "aurelianus" should not be regarded as a double denarius.

John's assertion that the silver content of Carausius' base coinage only really starts with the introduction of B/E//MLXXI on the coins a London (plus the equivalent issue a the C mint) can be shown to be incorrect now as I have a fully silvered F/O//ML issue, that is, the issue preceding B/E//MLXXI (illustrated on the gallery pages on this site).

Where John and I really differed at one stage is over the acceptance of the RSR marked coins as being official in base metal with radiate portraits. He favoured that all such were unofficial but this is, to my mind, clearly not the case, particularly as there are cross die links.

Where there is some doubt is over the very rare base metal laureate issues as some are clearly imitative and unofficial (viz the Uberitas type in Casey's plates) while others are not.

Some work on the series that John has done since the book is on the Arras medallions, in particular with regard to the ownership of the hoard (most likely linked to the campaign to suppress the regime). The large medallion from the hoard of Constantine illustrated in the book clearly shows graffito etched into the reverse field when examined in the flesh, as it were, and records a personal name (that of the owner to prevent theft or aid theft detection?). This name is not always evident in the illustrations of the medallion as the pictures are often derived from the Bourgey electrotypes of some of the most impressive medallions in the late 1920's/early 1930's. I only wish that my memory was better and I could remember this name. Given the length time that the Arras hoard was put together it is probably the product of at least officer's donativa and the graffito is only that of the last owner (a relative of the first?).

I know that this is a long post and people may be put off reading this but the bottom line is if you like that late third century this book is an essential read.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re:Carausius and Allectus
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 01:51:05 pm »
That's what I thought on the basis of the first few chapeters, thanks. Great book.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity