Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tacitus/Ticinum french translation  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Tacitus/Ticinum french translation
« on: November 20, 2004, 08:47:38 pm »
I am trying to understand the difference between the two issues of Tacitus at Ticinum, following the presentation at
http://www.cgb.fr/monnaies/rome/r14/indexgb.html

I've tried to translate the key part of the french text - if anyone who is fluent in french can confirm or correct my attempt I would appreciate it.

Sorry of this is in the wrong place.

Steve
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Au cours du règne de Tacite, l’atelier de Ticinum émet deux émissions d’aureliani. Pendant la première émission, le portrait est peu réaliste, preuve que les graveurs ne possédaient pas encore les traits du nouvel empereur. Au cours de la seconde émission, les portraits sont plus réalistes (cou large, petits yeux...). Seul le portrait permet de distinguer les deux émissions, les types de revers employés étant les mêmes.

During the reign of Tacitus, the mint of Ticinum produced two emissions of Aureliani. During the first emission, the portrait lacks realism, evidence the engravers did not yet have access to the likeness of the new emperor.  During the second emission, the portrait becomes more realistic (larger neck, eyes smaller…). The portrait alone differentiates the two emissions: the reverse types used are the same.

Offline Roma_Orbis

• Consul
  • ad avgvsta per angvsta
Re:Tacitus/Ticinum french translation
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 09:01:21 pm »
Confirmed ;)

Jérôme 8)

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 05:22:40 am »
As an experiment, I used the French-English translation service at

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

It gave:

"During the reign of Tacit, the workshop of Ticinum emits two emissions of aureliani. During the first emission, the portrait is not very realistic, proof that the engravers did not have yet the features of the new emperor. During the second emission, the portraits are more realistic (broad neck, small eyes...). Only the portrait makes it possible to distinguish the two emissions, the types of reverses employed being the same ones."

Not bad eh? And it's free and only takes a few seconds. I must remember it's available more often. Can't replace a fluent French-speaking numismatist though -  ;) ;D

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 11:34:53 am »
     The translation program worked very well in this case, because that happens to be a text that can be translated word for word into English while preserving the original meaning.  In my limited experience of computer translations of numismatic texts, that is NOT usually the case!
     I question the wisdom of distinguishing an issue on the basis of portrait features alone.  Often the portrait evolution is gradual not abrupt and there are a lot of "in-between" coins whose assignment to one issue or the other becomes arbitrary!
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity