Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Caesars by Julianus II  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
The Caesars by Julianus II
« on: August 07, 2004, 01:43:15 pm »
I post some engravings of coins from the book, the edition is of  1728. It contains around 300! Rather amusing and incitating
comments.  

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re:The Caesars by Julianus II
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 01:45:32 pm »
Coin of Julianus looks quite realistic.

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 01:46:23 pm »

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 01:47:20 pm »

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 01:48:07 pm »

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 01:48:47 pm »
Numerianus.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 09:33:28 pm »
      My edition of this book is Paris 1696.  I don't know whether that is the first edition:  will have to check later in Banduri's numismatic bibliography.--According to Lipsius' Numismatic Bibliography of 1800, the first ed. of Spanheim's Julian was Paris 1683.
     I have a different frontispiece than in the 1727 Amsterdan edition.  I also don't have the vignette with the two coins of Julian.  These are stated to derive from a Dutch collection, so were probably executed specifically for the Amsterdam edition.
     The other four coins, Probus etc., are in my edition too.  They have been copied very closely in the 1727 edition, but are not from the identical blocks or plates.  Not surprising, I suppose, that a publisher in Amsterdam in 1727 did not have access to the original blocks used to print the illustrations in Paris in 1696.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity