Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Numismatic Forgery by Charles Larson  (Read 4627 times)

Offline Severus_Alexander

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Hail Hail Severus Alexander!!
Numismatic Forgery by Charles Larson
« on: July 03, 2004, 12:19:20 am »
Hello,

Has anyone read Numismatic Forgery by Charles M. Larson?  Any opinions on the book?  I see it listed in the ANA book list.

Thank you.

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
Re:Numismatic Forgery by Charles Larson
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 08:22:19 am »
Covers: Alteration (tooling, adding mint marks); Casting (centrifugal); False Dies (engraving tools, from electroplates, from casts, explosive impact); Collars; Planchets; Striking (hammering jigs and the 'gravity hammer'); and Wear/Patina.

In his forward, H. Robert Campbell (former President of the ANA), describes Numismatic Forgery as a "cook book" on creating counterfeits and alterations. Wayne Homren reported that copies of the manuscript were shown to students at the ANA summer Counterfeit Detection Seminar. Seminar staff stopped using it when they realized the book's explicit and technical nature.

Although written in the style of a "how-to" manual for replica and clandestine workshops, the book's target audience is collectors and authenticators. To employ Mr. Larson's techniques for crime you'd need to know the basics of precious metal casting, tool and die machining, gunsmithing, and numismatics. For readers without a metal lathe but with a serious interest in authentication and forgery-fighting, the book will provide an understanding of the covert minting process.

I was most impressed by Larson's treatment of the manufacture of steel dies through explosive impact copying. His procedure involves modifying shotguns to drive cast hubs into annealed dies. Larson's diagrams are explicit enough to convince the numismatist that explosive copying is practical. Details only of use to criminals, such as the type and quantity of gunpowder to use, are deliberately withheld from the reader.

Larson quotes (page 164) an anonymous authenticator who examined 114 1916-S quarter eagles during the 1980s. 56% of them turned out to be fake! Hi-volume forgers in the Middle East and the Orient *already know* many of Larson's techniques. Numismatic Forgery may provide a few useful tips to jewelers and machinists independently turning to crime, but the primary value of the book is to educate collectors in the characteristics of the illicit workshop.

The president of NGC is quoted on the back cover saying "Exciting, entertaining, and educational. Charles Larson takes us on a journey into the mind of the 'forger' and leaves us with the tools necessary to detect his work."

The casting of ancient coins is discussed, and nine pages on cutting dies by hand focus on ancients. Wayne Sayles' book on Greek Coins is shown in a photograph on page 60--as an example of the ancient coin forger's research reference tools! Larson does not cover the techniques of engraving, but merely names the tools.  Larson shows the dies he created for striking replica Athenian and Alexander tetradrachms, and Persian siglos/daric.

Two shortcuts are discussed for the modern celator, including a clever way to print a photograph of the source coin directly on the blank die before carving.

Mr. Larson operates a web site which (formerly?) sold replicas of ancient coins and Mormon gold coins. Technical articles on their manufacture were also on the site, including a draft of chapter 5 of Numismatic Forgery. http://www.coinsmith.com/

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 03:44:37 pm »
Thank you for the information.  I've ordered a copy and will let you know how I liked it.

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 05:20:13 pm »
I just finished this book and found it very interesting but very, very troubling.

The book goes in great detail how fake coins are created in exact detail.  The step by step detail he gives is very scarey.   It's a cook book for how to get the equipment and how step by step to make exact fakes.   It appears that fake ancient coins are the easiest to make and some of the examples in the book look pretty good to me.

What really concerns me is that someone wanting to be a forger will use it as their bible to start.

I wonder what experts like Curtis think about this book?

Worth getting the book.

Thank you.

Kevin

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 09:24:32 pm »
According to Wayne Homren, editor of the e-Sylum (numismatic book collectors weekly e-newsletter), Larson's book was shown to students at the ANA's summer Counterfeit Detection class.  The book was controversial: "once ANA summer seminar staff realized how explicit and technical the book was in its descriptions, it was pulled from usage."

If Homren's story is true, the ANA has insulted its students.

The number of fakes, especially in common US gold, is incredible.  Dealers and top collectors take fly to Colorado, pay the ANA, spend a week studying fakes... yet the ANA doesn't trust them enough to reveal how the fakes they are learning to detect are made!

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 11:41:03 pm »
Cookbook: I have noticed that results from owning and following Julia Child, et al., do not all come out alike, and are not always identifiable as French Cooking.
In any case, I don't think putting Gallileo on the Index Librorum will put Earth back in the center of a Universe that has only time-space and no center or end.
On the other hand, there probably are things about ancient manufacture that we don't know (not that I know what that might be), and the more we know about metalworking, the better.
As for losing money, you can do worse with NYSE and its cousins, or horses, or Powerball.
As for our pride, a good thing is to swallow it.
Patricia Lawrence

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 06:48:37 pm »
I read Larson's book and was not impressed!  There really was nothing new in the book as far as I could tell.  Explosive Impact copying has been around at least since the 1980's.  I remember reading an article about it in Scientific American a long time ago.  They were making perfect copies of leaves and other stuff in copper plates.

Yes, Larson's is a cook book, but you will need some skill as a machinist and celator to do what is in this cook book.  I have run lathes and metal mills and it is not that easy.  The new computerized ones are a lot easier to use, but very expensive.

Most of the techniques used to make counterfeit coins in this book have been in uses for a long time, and have been detected.   What I fear is stereographic 3-D modeling, using lasers and creating exact plastic models that can be used to create dies without damaging the original coin.

If you know little about forgery, I do recommend reading this book.  Can you make the perfect copy using this book as a guide?  I doubt it.  That will take a lot of skill and time.  Even if you make a perfect copy, than it will be the same as the real coin and will make no difference.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity