Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identification help for an Antoninus Pius Sesterce  (Read 382 times)

Offline Montmercure

• Praetorian
Identification help for an Antoninus Pius Sesterce
« on: August 04, 2021, 03:41:24 pm »
Hello from France,

I recently bought a sestertius from Antoninus Pius (Cohen 363 - RIC 770 - BMC 1677) whose reverse seems curious to me.
The theoretical legend is "FELICITAS AVG" but on my coin, I have the impression that the legend is "FELIC IT TAS AVG" ie "FELICITAS" with 2 T. (one left from Felicitas head and secund right to the head of the caduceus)!!

Have you ever encountered such a spelling error?

Thanks by advance

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Identification help for an Antoninus Pius Sesterce
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 03:53:13 pm »
It also says TR P P COS IIII

instead of TR P COS IIII

Offline Montmercure

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 04:24:04 pm »
you're right !!, so far i had only blocked on the reverse, don't you think it's getting worrying?
François

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 07:06:42 pm »
This coin has been extensively recut. A fake new patina was then applied.
All these letters, or most of them, are newly made, hair, laurel and beard are also "enhanced". I know of no Roman mint workers at that time (peace, prosperity, best time to strike good coins!) that has such dumb errors as Felicittas and TRPP on BOTH sides. You'll never be able to tell which parts of the coin are original, if there are any.
If you have any option to return the coin, do it.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Montmercure

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 03:57:09 am »
Thank you for your frank and full of sense answer.

You have a level of knowledge and expertise that I am not ready to achieve.

I bought this coin from a well-known auction house (InAs..) who described it as "Ritocchi",
but nowhere did I find that term corresponded to a fully re-engraved item.

I got in touch with the auction house ... without success for the moment
thank you for your analysis and your advice

and forgive my very basic english
François

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 06:10:21 am »
Well, "ritocchi" means as much as "rétouches", and this is a very vague description which can describe gentle cleaning as well as a complete surgical makeover; unfortunately more often it means the latter.
And don't worry about your English - it's not my native tongue either, and as long as we understand one another, it's no problem.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity