Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: IBERIA, Bolskan. AR Denarius edge cuts – explanation?  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
IBERIA, Bolskan. AR Denarius edge cuts – explanation?
« on: March 22, 2021, 02:59:19 pm »
IBERIA, Bolskan. Circa 150-100 BC. AR Denarius (19.5mm, 3.75g, 11h).

This coin has edge cuts that were made in the flan before it was struck into a coin (observed in hand under magnification). There are a number of these coins that I’ve seen in reference works and auction catalogs that appear to have similar cuts.

Anybody know what these are? Weight adjustments? Caused during flan manufacture? Other?

Some other examples that appear to have similar cuts:

SNG Copenhagen, Part 43. Spain - Gaul
Plate XVI, coin number 324.

SNG France 1. Collection Jean Et Marie Delepierre
Plate 1, coin number 9.

CNA IV’  21 September 1988
Lot 1.

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
Re: IBERIA, Bolskan. AR Denarius edge cuts – explanation?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 11:27:49 pm »
Perhaps this was a coin with a test cut that was used as a flan, re-struck well enough to obliterate the previous type, leaving only remnants of the test cut.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 03:25:24 am »
... Perhaps this was a coin with a test cut that was used as a flan ...
Perhaps, but perhaps not. Probably we never will find out  :-\.

Regards

Altamura

Offline clueless

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 10:04:44 am »
Maybe something similar to the serrated republican denarii ?

Clueless

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 10:29:52 am »
Is it the mark at 6 o’clock on the reverse? I would have thought it is a remnant of the removal of the sprue from the cast flan.

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 12:55:23 pm »
Is it the mark at 6 o’clock on the reverse? I would have thought it is a remnant of the removal of the sprue from the cast flan.

This might be the most logical explanation. However, the cuts seem to extend farther into the coin than I would expect from sprue removal.

The cut on the reverse of this coin at 6h is the same as seen on the obverse at about 8:30h. Also on the obverse is a closed cut at about 3h (not seen on the reverse as it doesn't go all the way through the coin). These marks are about opposite each other, as flan sprues might be.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity