Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RPC Project News and Notes  (Read 19700 times)

Offline Paul B4

• Consul
Re: RPC Project News and Notes
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 09:17:35 pm »
Where can one find the English translations of the Greek legends on RPC?

Offline Jerome M

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2020, 09:00:11 am »
RPC volume VIII is now online! It covers all Roman provincial coinages issued during the reign of Philip (AD 244-249). It includes over 3,000 type descriptions and more than 22,000 coins, issued by 173 cities. The geographical scope ranges from Dacia to Egypt, though the bulk of the coinage was issued in Asia Minor.

Jerome Mairat (Oxford) and Marguerite Spoerri (Oxford) are the main authors and editors of this volume, with contributions by Michel Amandry (Paris), Kevin Butcher (Warwick), Jack Nurpetlian (Beirut), and Ulrike Peter (Berlin).

Corrections and additions will be incorporated in the printed volume planned for next year. Please submit feedback through RPC online.

Browse at: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/8

Browse using the map at: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/search/map?volume_id=15

There is more to come soon!

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2020, 09:24:45 am »
Congratulations Jerome
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2020, 11:14:11 am »
Congratulations--it is very impressive!

Offline Paul B4

• Consul
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2020, 01:36:16 pm »
Another excellent resource.  Thank you!

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2020, 08:20:12 am »
Thanks, Jerome, and congratulation...👍🤝

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Jerome M

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2020, 08:05:53 am »
RPC volume VII.2 is online!

RPC volume VII.2 covers all Roman provincial coinages issued in the reigns of Gordian I, Gordian II, Balbinus, Pupienus, and Gordian III (AD 238–244). It includes over 3,600 type descriptions and more than 25,000 coins, issued by 128 cities. The geographical scope ranges from Dacia to Egypt, without the province of Asia which was previously published in RPC VII,1 by Marguerite Spoerri.

Jerome Mairat (Oxford) and Marguerite Spoerri (Oxford) are the main authors and editors of this volume, with contributions by Michel Amandry (Paris), Roger Bland (Cambridge), Kevin Butcher (Warwick), Jack Nurpetlian (Beirut), and Ulrike Peter (Berlin).

Corrections and additions will be incorporated in the printed volume planned for next year. Please submit feedback through RPC online.

Browse at: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/7.2

Browse using the map at https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/search/map?volume_id=14

There is more to come!

Offline Alex K2

• Praetorian
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2020, 04:52:56 pm »
Thank you, great resource! I wonder, what are the plans for the rest of the world (besides Asia Minor and Egypt) of volume VI? Nothing is on the website, not even 'in progress'.

Offline Jerome M

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2020, 11:13:33 am »
Thanks. The project hopes to publish the remaining parts of volume VI online next year.

Offline Alex K2

• Praetorian
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2021, 09:24:05 pm »
Any updates? Thanks!

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2021, 12:41:30 am »
Dear Board,

After a long lapse, I am finally back to give some RPC updates.  I was recently corresponding with Andrew Burnett and he had this to say about the latest scheduling saga:

"The current plan is to try and get the Asia part of V online (V.2) for the Warsaw conference next year; and the rest of VI also sometime in 2022. In terms of printed volumes, next year should see VII.2 (the rest of VII) and after that IV.4 (which is only Alexandria – enormous enough for a volume on its own). So we’re gradually getting there...!"

In a followup to this, he added:

"Maybe add that [RPC] VIII in print will be next after the others."

The time, therefore, is still not overripe for submitting new coins for possible inclusion in probably any of the RPC volumes mentioned above.  I know I have a lot of unpublished material waiting to be properly cataloged and submitted.  But none of the coins have to be new discoveries in terms of type or variety.  Even known ones that are rare or special in some way are more than welcome! 

It is a humbling, but nice feeling that some of the world's leading numismatists care and are truly interested in what we collectors and independent researchers collect and study.  Let's reciprocate by caring what they do and take a part in their historic work!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2021, 03:41:25 am »
RPC keeps up the good work, very much appreciated
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2022, 02:45:58 am »
Great work.

I have two questions: is there a way to download volumes in pdf? Is the website absolutly full or is there !more items listed in the books?

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2022, 05:22:31 am »
No, you can only download the supplements. The books have added value in that they put the coinage of each city into context, rather than the simple listing of the types online. It depends whether you just want an identification or a deeper understanding of the coinage.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2022, 07:42:53 am »
Great work.

I have two questions: is there a way to download volumes in pdf? Is the website absolutly full or is there !more items listed in the books?

The online version is always the most complete one, since it is possible to submit new coins or even unlisted type by using the « feedback » button:
DT

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2022, 10:11:38 am »
I need to put the references when i sell provincial coins. If the refrences change when someone add a coin, it look complicate.

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2022, 02:10:32 pm »
About the temporary numbers of some coins, here is what J.Mairat says about them: « Some volumes have temporary numbers but they might change before the printed volume is out. »
DT

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2022, 01:45:22 am »
When the volumes comes?

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2022, 05:52:08 am »

Editor Michel Amandry says:  You should see RPC V.2 on line before the summer 2023

Pekka K

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2022, 06:00:25 am »
And for books?

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2023, 09:47:49 pm »
Dear Board,

While conducting some research tonight on RPC Online, I quickly skimmed through a couple or so coins that were from the time of Gallienus before the significance of that fact had dawned on me.  So far, there has been no press release on the site to advertise the new additions/period or an update on this page:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/volumes

I am not even entirely certain if RPC X is supposed to go public yet, given the fact that none of the coins in the specimens lists have actual numbers.  Some coin types are also lacking cross references as of this post and some of the data feels rougher than normal for a preliminary online launch. 

But it is there:  RPC X is online!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan           

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2023, 05:40:47 am »
Mark, thank you for sharing the great news!

Also: Their newly posted types for Egypt, Alexandria include Valerian & Gallienus through to the Tetrarchy -- Diocletian, Constantius I, Maximian, Maxentius, Galerius, et al.-- and the usurper Domitius Domitianus (297/8).

RPC lists one more year of Alexandrian coinage after Domitius Dom. was deposed -- but represented by a single type, a Maximian Tetradrachm (Dikaiosyne standing), dated to his Year 14 (AD 298/9).

I guess that Maximian Tet would be considered the very last Roman Provincial Coin? https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/type/85871

In June, I tried to look up some new Claudius II Alexandrian Tets to no avail. But they're up now, so they can't have been posted more than a few weeks ago.
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2023, 07:27:33 pm »
RPC X is down.  Hopefully it's temporary.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2023, 12:27:57 am »
Dear Curtis, Tom, and Board,

Now I am doubly wondering if the launch was completely intentional, although, in all probability, it was a test of some sort.  It had to have gone public no more than a few days ago, since I keep very close tabs on Sestus on the site.   

In regards to Curtis' interesting thoughts/musings on the end of Roman provincial coinage, I have heard a rumored report somewhere of an Alexandrian potin of Constantine, although I am not certain when in his imperial career it was supposedly minted.  And don't forget about the Bosporan Kingdom, whose known coinage extended quite far into the fourth century:

https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/bosporos/t.html   

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Alex K2

• Praetorian
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2023, 01:40:32 pm »
When volume X was briefly available I had a chance to look at the cities I am interested in, Ptolemais and Adraa. Indeed the record was incomplete, but it still gave very good idea of relative rarity of the types, information not readily available elsewhere. Any idea on final release date? Or release of volume V? They promised it our a while ago...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity