Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Scallop Shell Pendant from Southern Italy 1.681g 22.8 mm, need help with date  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Small scallop shell pendant from Southern Italy, 1.681g, 22.8 mm

I am confident the origin is Southern Italy, however, I do not know how to date it.  The consignor thinks 300 B.C.  Anyone seen similar?  Know a good date range?  Thanks!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
300BC sounds right but I'd have said central Italy in line with most cast bronzes.

This is a variant of the usual scallop shell shape bronzes (also made in lead) and Italo Vecchi says his view is that they are invariably weights, a light ounce in most cases, as they always seem to come with something they can be suspended from, a hole for a hook or in this case a protrusion. My own example has an indent at the back it could be suspended from. The fact that the designs are similar to the early scallop shell sextantes probably only stems from the weights being made from casting actual scallop shells and being in wide enough circulation about 300BC that when a coin design was sought for the sextans in about 280BC, it seemed natural to use the same design for a coin of the same size. As weights perhaps they were used to weigh aes rude, if so they have a quasi monetary function. If my view is that the coin design was copied from these pieces then 300BC would be spot on as these pieces would need to have been around in some quantity when the first scallop shell sextans was made about 280 BC.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Very interesting piece Joe.  Andrew that is an excellent write up.  Never even thought to equate the two together!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Thanks Andrew and Jay. Is Italo Vecchi's view discussed in one of his books or articles?  If so, I would like to read it. Thanks again, Joe
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Thanks Andrew and Jay. Is Italo Vecchi's view discussed in one of his books or articles?  If so, I would like to read it. Thanks again, Joe

Unfortunately no write up. Two such pieces are listed in Vecchi ICC,  p.76 and p. 90:4,5. The observation came in discussions with Italo where he was quite adamant that every example was intended as a weight and showed me a weighing scale example in a museum (can't recall where) with one such piece suspended. The usually smaller acorn shapes were also weights in his view. But I cant cite anything. You could cite "ref. informal discussions McCabe - Vecchi".

I might see Italo in Zurich next week and would ask him again.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Thanks Andrew.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity