Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is that Roman or Byzantine Glass Weight?for Final ID  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Is that Roman or Byzantine Glass Weight?for Final ID
« on: August 26, 2013, 07:27:15 am »
Hi all;
i post this Tiny dark blue Glass 11mm-0.4g which i believe it's Roman or Byzantine Glass Weight with like Emperor Head facing with some pendila?
Thanks in advance for final ID as i don't have Bendall Ref.
Regards
Nassif

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Re: Is that Roman or Byzantine Glass Weight?for Final ID
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 07:44:46 am »
No idea??Anything similar in Bendall Byzantine weights??[I don't have this reference...]
thanks for any help
Nassif

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 04:33:08 pm »
Nassif

I am confused by the weight you give 0.4g, do you mean 4 gm?

if so it is likely a weight for the denomination of a solidus. Bendall does have a number on pg 60-65. He comments that the majority bear only monograms while some bear busts and inscriptions. The Nomisma weights he has range from 4.31g to 3.50g. None are a exact match of yours so to speak but of course that is not surprising.
In David Hendin's "Ancient scale weights and pre coinage currency of the near east" there are  several Islamic glass weights, but no Nomisma weights.
-
Yours is a Byzantine Nomisma weight, generally not datable unless with a monogram you can match.

Cordially

CW

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 02:29:35 am »
Hi;
The Weight is 0,4 g...it's so tiny and very light...I am sure 100% it's authentic ancient Artifact without shadow of doubt..it's a Byzantine item for sure...
thanks for your contribution
Nassif

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 11:22:08 am »
I was not questioning the authenticticy of it. As to the direct question though, Bendall nor Hendin has a similar weight. Just to be clear.

Cordially

CW

All coins are guaranteed for eternity