Antiquities Discussion Forums > Weights and Scales

Scale Weight References

(1/6) > >>

wileyc:
Would like to see a list of references that one finds helpful for weight reference help, here are some that I have found helpful.

Bendall, S. (1996). Byzantine weights: an introduction. London, Lennox Gallery.

Hendin, David, and Shraga Qedar. Ancient Scale Weights and Pre-Coinage Currency of the Near East. New York: Amphora, 2007. Print.

Tye, Robert. Early World Coins and Early Weight Standards. York: Early World Coins, 2009. Print.

Weber, Klaus. Byzantinische Münzgewichte: Materialkorpus Für 1-Nomisma-Gewichte : Studien Zur Vielfalt Der Ausführungsform, Metrologie Und Herstellung. Solingen: Verein für Metrologie, 2009. Print.

ADMIN NOTE:  SEE THE NUMISWIKI WEIGHTS PAGE - https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Ancient| Weights| and Scales

Joe Sermarini:
Balog, P. "Islamic Bronze Weights from Egypt" in JESHO 13 (1970), pp. 235 - 255.
Balog, P. "Poids forts fatimites en plomb," Revue Belge de Numismatique 105 (1959), pp. 171-88.
Bendall, S. Byzantine Weights, An Introduction. (London, 1996).
Hendin, D. Ancient Scale Weights and Pre-Coinage Currency of the Near East. (New York, 2007).
Holland, L. "Islamic Bronze Weights from Caesarea Maritima" in ANSMN 31 (1986).
Krapivina, V.V. "Bronze Weights from Olbia" in Black Sea Studies 1 (Aarhus University Press, 2003), pp. 117 - 130.
Manns, F. Some Weights of the Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine periods: English translation by Godfrey Kloetzli. Studium Biblicum Franciscanum Museum 7. (Jerusalem, 1984).
Weber, K. Byzantinische Münzgewichte: Materialkorpus Für 1-Nomisma-Gewichte: Studien Zur Vielfalt Der Ausführungsform, Metrologie Und Herstellung. (Solingen, 2009).

SC:
I have a small booklet not yet mentioned.

Mutz, Alfred.  Romische Wagen und Gewichte aus Augst und Kaisaraugst.  Augster Museumshefte 6.  Augst 1983. 

Quite good at 64 pages.  Useful even to a non German speaker.  Interestingly only a small bit deals with weights.  Most deals with the  scales themselves.

Shawn

Joe Sermarini:
I tried to buy...

Weber, Klaus. Byzantinische Münzgewichte: Materialkorpus Für 1-Nomisma-Gewichte : Studien Zur Vielfalt Der Ausführungsform, Metrologie Und Herstellung. Beihefte zur Zeitschrift für Metrologie, Issue 10. (Solingen, 2009).

here...

http://shop.mass-und-gewicht.de/Beihefte/Beiheft-Nr-10-Oktober-2009-Byzantinische-Muenzgewichte-von-Klaus-Weber.html

It seemed like I registered, but the website does not let me log in.  I don't know how to order it, probably because I can't understand German. If one of our German members can order it and send it to me, I will send you a PayPal to reimburse you.  

Joe Sermarini:

--- Quote from: otlichnik on October 26, 2014, 07:06:59 am ---I have a small booklet not yet mentioned.

Mutz, Alfred.  Romische Wagen und Gewichte aus Augst und Kaisaraugst.  Augster Museumshefte 6.  Augst 1983.  

Quite good at 64 pages.  Useful even to a non German speaker.  Interestingly only a small bit deals with weights.  Most deals with the  scales themselves.

Shawn

--- End quote ---

Available from two sellers on amazon.de but neither will ship to the U.S.

PS. I ordered 5 copies from the museum in Augst. German again, but I managed to stumble through the checkout - except it never asked for a credit card or told me how to pay.  Hopefully, the will let me know by email.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version