Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Remove from ANACS slab?  (Read 6953 times)

Offline joejitsumd

• Legionary
Remove from ANACS slab?
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:02:33 pm »
I have a Nero denarius that I bought in a protective case authenticated by ANACS.  I have several other coins and have them all in 2x2 flips.  I much prefer to have all my coins together in a coin album than in differs types of holders.  Is it a horrible idea to crack open the ANACS holder and take the coin out? It looks like it only costs $30 if I wanted to get it re-authenticated down the road.  Anyone else done this before?

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Remove from ANACS slab?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:11:24 pm »
I have a Nero denarius that I bought in a protective case authenticated by ANACS.  I have several other coins and have them all in 2x2 flips.  I much prefer to have all my coins together in a coin album than in differs types of holders.  Is it a horrible idea to crack open the ANACS holder and take the coin out? It looks like it only costs $30 if I wanted to get it re-authenticated down the road.  Anyone else done this before?

It's not horrible. Tips are often shared on this list for cracking slabs and then discarding the useless slabs forever. Ancient coins are not sensitive to hand-holding, dinging against a stone, leaving out in the rain, or jiggling in a pocket because most have already endured years of circulation, and none have fragile proof surfaces. So, the "protective case" adds no protection whilst removing all the harmless enjoyment of handling the coin and being able to inspect it closely, edges included. Since it came from an "ANACS holder" your coin has already been authenticated. It never needs to be authenticated again in its life (and certainly not in your life). Grading of ancient coins is completely subjective and relies on the eye of the beholder (one person loves green patinas, another brown, the next likes shiny surfaces, the one after toning, one might value sharpness above all else, the next person likes smooth evenly worn surfaces, etc.etc). So, slabbing adds nothing to your coin. It does not help you authenticate it. It impeded your enjoyment of the coin whilst not really protecting it. And the data on identification and grading is usually useless. Crack it open, and never slab again.

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:12:59 pm »
If you like things cohesive, I would bust it out. I dont like my ancients in slabs either.

I have only bought two that were in NGC slabs and I cracked them out. I did keep the ticket though. You could do the same.

Example at this link with mine https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3973.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:16:50 pm »
Ancient coins are not sensitive to hand-holding, dinging against a stone, leaving out in the rain, or jiggling in a pocket...

well i'm not so sure about that, but Andrew makes a good point. you are probably never going to see a brilliant gem uncirculated ancient, so the slab is superfluous as well as ugly.
break it out!

~ Peter

Offline joejitsumd

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:03:20 pm »
Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy by doing this.

Joe

Offline joejitsumd

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 03:11:39 am »
Update:  I released the coin from the prison cell of a slab.  It felt so good getting it out and I would definitely do it again.  Having it in my hand was worth it.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 04:25:45 am »
Glad to know you have freed it!

I have taken great joy in freeing every slabbed coin I've ever purchased.  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity