Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Removing Horn Silver from a tetradrachm  (Read 6517 times)

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
Removing Horn Silver from a tetradrachm
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:52:54 pm »
Recently I bought an "uncleaned" Tetradrachm of Demetrius II. After removing some tarnish there was revealed major encrustations of Horn silver on the face and some on the reverse as well. I could find no good instruction for removing it. Battery (sulfuric) acid will take it off but devastate the coin as well.
Chemically, horn silver, or chlorargyrite, is mineralized silver chloride (AgCl). A fine emulsion of AgCl is used in photo film. Exposure to light releases metallic silver. When the emulsion is dissolved away leaving behind black silver deposits on the film this creates the "negative". The chemical used to dissolve the emulsion is called "hypo" or fixer. I ordered some of this chemical (it is quite safe) from a photo supply shop. It comes as a concentrate which I used straight from the bottle.

My first photo shows the coin as I photographed it for my gallery. Clearly the horn silver deposits are a problem. The next photo is a close-up of the main problem area after some pre-cleaning with ammonia -which proved unsatisfactory for long-term use because of its volatility.

When the "hypo" arrived I applied it with a Q-tip and rubbed vigourously. After about an hour's work the deposits were reduced significantly. This is tedious work. It smetimes seems that no progress is happening and then suddenly it happens. I tried warming the hypo before applying it and this helped a bit. After about 3-4 hours total it seemed that little further progress was being made. There may still be some work to be done but now Demetrius looks a lot better.

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
Re: Removing Horn Silver from a tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 11:06:07 pm »
I would like to know what methods are being used by others for removing horn silver. Or suggestions? There seem to be none mentioned in the Forvm archives.

Regards, Dave

Offline mike1987

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:17:34 am »
I would keep it like that, you already improved it a lot. And I don't think its horn silver. There's a big crack underneath the dirt so I think somebody "glued" this previously broken coin together.

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 02:40:17 pm »
I would keep it like that, you already improved it a lot. And I don't think its horn silver. There's a big crack underneath the dirt so I think somebody "glued" this previously broken coin together.

No, the coin is not broken though there are spots where it appears that way, especially on the reverse - and in fact it is horn silver which seems to exist in two phases. There is a 'glassy' or non-crystalline phase on the surface of the coin which the hyposulfite removes relatively well and and a crystalline brown phase underneath. The latter is what gives it the name "horn" silver since it looks like cow horn. This is more visible under a loupe and is harder to dissolve.

What appears like a crack is a roughness or fissure in the surface which the horn silver leaves behind after it is removed.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity