Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

Books About the Flavian Era

<< < (4/5) > >>

David Atherton:
Added Susan Sorek's The Jews Against Rome, a wonderful, scholarly look at the war and its causes.

Many of the books written about the Jewish War are popular accounts (Desmond Seward's Jerusalem's Traitor comes to mind) which slavishly retell Josephus' version without much critical analysis (not necessarily a bad thing if it is told in a lively way as Seward has done). Sorek's is one of the few narrative, academic treatments of the subject I know of. Well worth tracking down!

I also recently added The Jewish Revolt Against Rome, a collection of academic essays concerning the conflict. If you ever wanted to know about what cookware the Roman army used at Masada this is the book for you!

helvetica:
For those who read German, in Zeitschrift für Numismatik XIV, Pick wrote an excellent article about the coinage  of the Flavians entitled "Zur Titulatur der Flavier".

David Atherton:
I recently added to my library R. H. Darwall-Smith's excellent book Emperors and Architecture: A Study of Flavian Rome, a fundamental work on what exactly the Flavians built and how the Rome we see today is in large part due to them. Also, from a coin collectors perspective the coinage is cited quite extensively.

Hard to track down and very expensive, but well worth the effort!

David Atherton:
Added and finally finished Gordon Maxwell's The Romans in Scotland. A fantastic breakdown of Roman activity in Scotland during the Flavian through Severan eras. I came away with a better understanding of how the frontiers were created and maintained. Coins are mentioned periodically for the dating of various marching camps and forts.

David Atherton:
Another addition, Rome's First Frontier: The Flavian Occupation of Northern Scotland - D.J. Woolliscroft and B. Hoffmann.

This is a very impressive read! The Flavian 'limes' system in Scotland, especially the Gask Frontier, is given a sound archaeological treatment. The picture presented here of Roman Scotland is quite revolutionary. Written in a breezy easy to understand style too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version