Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Provincial Coins Discussion Forum

Macedonian tetradrachm question.

(1/2) > >>

LordBest:
Hello!
      I have the honour of asking the first question on these boards.  :)
Can someone tell me if the AP monogram on Macedonian tetradrachms is the Amphipolis mintmark? And if it isnt, how can I tell where my Macedonian tetradrachm was minted?
              Thanks very much, LordBest 8)

Joe Sermarini:
The AP probably is not a mintmark as such.  Remember to tha a P in Greek is and R.  So, it wouldn't stand for Amphipolis.  Looking in Price, AP was used on Alexander tets (Is it an Alexander?) from Chios (left field) and Susa (under throne).   In monogram form it was used at Pella, Greece, Callatis, Mesembria, Byblos, Marathus, Carrhae, Amphipolis, Peloponnese, Miletus, Aradus and at uncertain mints.

LordBest:
My Macedonian tetradrachm is one of the ones minted under Roman rule, with Artemis and the club of Herakles on the reverse. It is identical to one I have seen, all the same symbols no more no less, and the dealer offering that one (HJB) say it is from Amphipolis. That kind of aroused my curiosity about mine :)
       Thank you, LordBest 8)

Joe Sermarini:
FORVM has the type in our catalog under Macedonia.  At the time the coin was minted (158-149 B.C.), Macedonia was divided into four regions under Roman rule.  The senate conceded them the right to coin silver in 158 B.C.  The capitals of the four regions were Amphipolis, Thessalonica, Pela and Pelagonia.  These regions were dissolved in 148 B.C. and Macedonia was made a Roman Province.  None of the references held by FORVM identify the mint city based on the monograms.  

LordBest:
Hi,
  I emailed HJB about Macedonian tetradrachms, adn recieved this reply:
 "Hi-- You may know that after the Roman conquest of Macedonia, the country was not immediately converted into a province. Rather, the Romans divided it into four "autonomous" districts. The Greek legend translates roughly as "First District of the Macedonians." Amphipolis was the main city of the First District, with a long history as a mint under the Macedonian kings, and thus is the only real candidate for the mint where these coins were produced."

So the truth is in the legends, not the monogram.:)
                  LordBest.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version