Resources > Identification Help

Tetricus II ID

(1/2) > >>

mwilson603:
Hi All,

I got the coin below in the same batch of uncleaned as the postumus I have on another thread.  I think its Tetricus II AE Antoninianus. CP ESV TETRICVS CAES, radiate, draped bust right / SPES AVGG, Spes advancing left holding flower and raising robe, RIC 271, but I know nothing about this guy.

Anybody care to verify my guess please?

regards

Mark
P.S. Most of the crud lumps are already flaking off so this should look quite nice when finished  :)

maridvnvm:
Looks more like RIC 270 to me with "C PIV ESV TETRICVS CAES".
Regards,
Martin

mwilson603:
OK, I'll buy that.

2 questions if I may.

1) What mint is it from?

and 2) I know that the photo doesn't show it but the coin is very oblong, approx 21mm x 17mm.  Is this standard for Tetricus coinage or just a strange flan on this coin?

maridvnvm:
Ragged and odd-shaped flans are not unusual from the Gallic empire at this stage. Mint errorrs also abound so you can find all sorts of odd errors.
As far as mint is concerned I believe that it is likely to be Trier. (I am far from a Gallic expert btw.)
Here are a couple of mine.
Regards,
Martin

mwilson603:
Nice coins Martin.

I am now going to ask a dumb question.  The 2 you have shown are, I think, SPES REIPUBLICAE.  Aside from showing off your impressive collection, they are to demonstrate the flan issues you mentioned aren't they, and not to show similar coins.  I only ask as mine is a SPES AVG, and I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly.

regards

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version