Resources > Ancient and Medieval Coin Identification Help

LICICI as a new VOT XX variant

(1/2) > >>

Diederik:
I just bought this mediocre, but yet very interesting coin:

IMP.LIC-INIVS AVG. laureate head right;
VOT/XX in wreath surrounded by: DN.LIC.LICICI AVGVSTI (sic) TSAVI in exergue.
If the reverse text had read: DN.LIC.LICINI.AVGVSTI, it would have been RIC 102.
Now, I suppose, it will be a funny variant to it?

comments are wellcome.

Frans

Noah:
It seems like an ancient "typo."   :laugh:  Your conclusion classifying it as a variant is very plausible.  I find that owning these types is quite special since they are very unusual.

Best, Noah

Heliodromus:
Frans, your coin has a small star at the top of the wreath which means that it's not RIC 102 but rather is from a later issue for which Licinius I is unlisted (RIC 117-120)! I have one (without the neat spellling error) myself also. This was the last Thessalonica issue to include the Licinii.

Ben

Diederik:
I took RIC in hand and saw what you mean: if the coin should be given a place, it should be directly after RIC 110. The remarks in RIC on p 495 should be altered into: Both Licinii disappeared in period 5.

Thanks for the effort

Frans

Heliodromus:
Frans, the RIC 109-116 group is yet another issue where the star is in the center of the wreath (and Licinius is listed as #111). Your coin belongs in the group RIC 117-120 where the star in on the wreath.

Here are my specimens of these coins for comparison. Top is RIC 111, bottom is same as your coin - unlisted (would come after RIC 117).

Ben

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version