Resources > Ancient and Medieval Coin Identification Help

Roman Provincial - Tyche help needed

(1/1)

dpaul7:
Hi again. Another Provincial stumper!

I have seen some similar pieces... but am not too sure on this one. Coin is 20 mm... 3 mm thick.

Any hints/help appreciated!

dpaul7 - Dave R

Pscipio:
Tough, as the coin is very worn and Tyche is such a common reverse type. Maybe Trajan Decius from Caesarea Maritima, Palestina, SNG Righetti 2399, BMC 167.

Lars

dpaul7:
Thanks, Lars! 

Another possibility I had found was
- _jerusalem_AE26_Meshorer_172
Herennius Etruscus AE26 of Aelia Capitolina. C H Q DECIVS (ETRVSCVS AVG), radiate draped bust right / COL AEL CAP COM P F, turreted & draped bust of Tyche right.

I guess it's a little too worn to really tell... but I still like it!  I have another tyche that's about the same... bearded emperor, niec tyche... and again, the letters are visible, but sadly not really readable!

Dave R. - dpaul7

Jay G:
it is more likely HOSTILIAN (CE 251) from CAESAREA MARITIMA, SNG VI; 847, Kadman 190

the SNG example weighed in at 6.15g

O: insc should read something like HOSTILIANOQVINTOC, dr. bust rt.
R: should read COLPFAVFCCAESMETROP, bust of tyche l.

THIS IS CERTAINLY NOT MESHORER 172 as Tyche is LEFT on your coin and not right and your coin does not appear to be an AE 26, seems closer to a 20 or smaller.

Pscipio:
Jay,

what makes you think it is Hostilian rather than Decius? I can't make out any part of the obverse legend, but the portrait looks more like Decius to me. Hard to tell from such a worn coin, of course, so I might be wrong.

Lars

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version