Resources > Ancient and Medieval Coin Identification Help

Constantinius II??? question

(1/1)

rick fox:
I have an AE 3 (.8 inches in size)  that at first I thought was a Constantinius II

Obv: -unsure
Rev: GLORIA EXERCITVS
2 soldiers standing next to 2 standards.

The problem is that I don't think it can be a Constantinius II because the obverse (as far as I can make it out) doesn't go with a Gloria Exercitvs.  At least not in the books I use to attrib coins (ERIC and Van Meters). Can I safely assume then that this is not an Constantinius II? or am I missing something?

Also - Can anyone make out the mint?  I think I see SIxx  Can I assume this Siscia?

Heliodromus:
The type was issued for Constantius II, but the legend doesn't fit. This is Constantine II - CONSTANTINVS [IVN] NOB C.

The mintmark is 4 characters starting with S, so must be SM?? (Siscia would be ASIS) which narrows it to Heraclea, Nicomedia or Cyzicus, but it's hard to tell what that third letter is - H, N or K. The officina seems to be Epsilon.

If you can't make out the mint mark, you could attempt to ID the mint (from those three) by matching the bust style. Quite a distinctive nose there!

Ben

Jochen:
Hi Rick!

I think Congius is right. It is Constantine II with CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C. This type was struck for Constantine I, Constantine II, Constantius II, Constans and Delmatius. The obv. legend starts clearly with C, so it can't be Delmatius nor Constantius which start with D or FL. You can read ANTI left of the bust, so it can't be Constans, and without a break it can't be Constantine I. So there is only the above legend remaining. This legend fits with Cyzicus! So the ex. is to be read SMK Epsilon!
I think the bust is draped and cuirassed, pearl-diademed, r. (E9 in RIC). Then iIf there is no dot or star before or behind the ex. it is RIC VII, Cyzicus 83; struck AD 331 and AD 333-334 again; very rare (r5!)

Best regards

Heliodromus:
But note that the attribution to Cyzicus depends on it being a diademed bust. If it's laureate (it's not obvious to me which it is) then it could be any of Nicomedia, Cyzicus or Heraclea (unlisted officina).

Ben

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version