Resources > Ancient and Medieval Coin Identification Help

New Constantine VLPP London text variant?

(1/2) > >>

Diederik:
Last night I won this 19 mm VLPP.
I read the coin as follows:
IMP.CONSTA-NTINVS helmeted head (with plume) and cuirassed bust left, holding spear over right shoulder;
VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC. PERP. two victories holding shield inscribed VOT / PR over altar; PLN in exergue.
In particular it is the obverse text which I think is different from the normal legends, which have (MAX) AVG or AG.
Have I overlooked anything?
Your expert comments are more than welcome!

Frans

Jeff Clark:
You are quite correct.  It is a legend variant that is not listed in RIC.  I don't think it is an official coin, however.

Rupert:
I think Jeff is right; the obv. bust style is odd, and the rev. has I instead of E, poorly shaped letters in general and a few (indistinct) letters too many on the reverse. Nevertheless, an interesting coin!

Rupert

Diederik:
In my heart I know you are right, Jeff and Rupert. Yet when I saw the coin for the first time, I knew by the way the emperor was rendered, it had to be London mint. Also the way the letters PLN are shaped is typical for the period. The reverse, I have to admit, is clearly not of the quality one would expect and the shape and execution of the letters is badly done.
Yet I think that at ten bucks, I got an interesting coin.

yours,

Frans

Rupert:

--- Quote from: Frans Diederik on January 21, 2007, 06:57:24 pm ---In my heart I know you are right, Jeff and Rupert. Yet when I saw the coin for the first time, I knew by the way the emperor was rendered, it had to be London mint. Also the way the letters PLN are shaped is typical for the period. The reverse, I have to admit, is clearly not of the quality one would expect and the shape and execution of the letters is badly done.
Yet I think that at ten bucks, I got an interesting coin.

yours,

Frans

--- End quote ---

Well, that's for sure! This is a very interesting (and rare) coin, interesting just because it's rather close to official style, just a little bit off. And we should make up our minds sometimes: What's $10 for an interesting, rare, nice, and 1,700 years old coin?

I enclose a picture of my two (official) coins of this type, one with shield on column, one with altar. You see how much your type has in common with them: the overall layout, the bust type, the very small lettering, all these things. If the obverse legend were correct, would we be able to tell that this is an inofficial coin? And then, how many inofficial coins would pass our controls as official, because the legends are - accidentally - correct?

Rupert

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version