Resources > Ancient and Medieval Coin Identification Help

Constantius Aquileia R4/5 confirmation.

(1/2) > >>

Diederik:
Just now I won this exiting coin:
FL.IVL.CONSTANTIVS NOB.C. Laureate, draped an cuirassed bust/
GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS around two soldiers holding two standards; AQS in ex and 'F' in center field.

According to me this coin is rated R5, but it is also displayed on Wildwinds, so should it be rated R4 now?
The contribution on Wildwinds is by Dane btw from a source not mentioned.
My coin is a lot better, but absolutely no die-match!

How many more are there?

Frans

Rugser:
Hi
Your cataloguing is correct. 
It is RIC VII, Aquileia 133; AQS is rated R5

ser

Numerianus:
Rating R5 means not more that at the date when rating was copiled the cataloguers
knew only one copy in the collections they examined. Of course, any further finds
cannot change the rarety rating until a revised edition will be published. 
One can observe that the detailed classification  which pays attention to legend
splits  etc leads necessarily to the cituation that there are a lot of classes reduced
to a single coin.  To my mind, this circumstance makes rarity rating rather useless: it  does not
discriminate rare types and rare varieties.   

Diederik:
Speaking in a general way, I totally agree with you, but with only two officinae at work in Aquileia, there are no more than three sub-types present for Constantine I, and the four caesars, Constantine, Constantius, Constans and Delmatius. There is one coin rated R3 and the rest (28 in total) R4 and R5.
This means that the whole emission of Aquileia should be looked upon as very rare.

Frans

PS  Does anyone know the significance of the letter 'F'  ??

F

vic9128:

--- Quote from: Frans Diederik on January 12, 2007, 08:09:24 am --- Does anyone know the significance of the letter 'F'  ??

--- End quote ---

No, but I would like to. I suspect it will remain a mystery. Here is my Aquileia Constantinopolis from the same series (with the mysterious F)

RIC VII 137 Aquileia r4

maybe the F stands for Flavius (family name of Constantine)...who knows?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version