Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantius Caesar PROVIDENTIA Arelate with greek numeral?  (Read 1231 times)

MCarvalho

Constantius Caesar PROVIDENTIA Arelate with greek numeral?
« on: January 02, 2007, 05:04:11 pm »
Dear friends,

I need to read your opinions about the mintmark on this campgate.

The coin is part of a coleccion of a serious Portuguese numismatics investigator. It was found in 1878, in Santo Estevão, near the city of Chaves (ancient AQVA FLAVIA), in the Northeast area of Portugal.

I belive it is from Arelate, something like this  :Greek_Delta:*AR

However, how he know, this isn't common, not in LRBC or even in RIC VII. So, I'm asking you if there is any chance of being some of the coins edited by Otto Voetter, in 1921.

On the other hand, it could be some other mint mark I couldn't read...

Thanks in advance

vic9128

Re: Constantius Caesar PROVIDENTIA Arelate with greek numeral?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 05:07:51 pm »
it looks like Q*AR  (weakly struck on the bottom of the exergue)
RIC VII Arles 276

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 06:27:53 pm »
Q*AR, for sure. Letters seem to be squeezed flat in the exergue, even though there would in fact be enough room.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

MCarvalho

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 09:12:46 pm »
Thank you very much :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity