Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient graffiti? Bankers' marks?  (Read 963 times)

Offline vrbsroma

• Praetorian
Ancient graffiti? Bankers' marks?
« on: December 17, 2006, 12:21:57 pm »
I can't tell what the marks are below the head on the neck of Vespasian.  It looks like the initials "R C" or something similar.  Any ideas?

Sear 2399
Vespasian AR Denarius
69-79 AD
CHVF
Vespasian, Titus and Domitian

Lawrence Woolslayer

Re: Ancient graffiti? Bankers' marks?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 12:57:45 pm »
bump

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Ancient graffiti? Bankers' marks?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 03:23:57 pm »
To try to ascertain what kind of tool make those apparent letters, and how old the marking may have been, we'd need a very high resolution detail taken in good lighting, even a microscope photo if that were available.  I do see, I think, RC, unlikely among known ancient bankers' marks.  Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity