Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need precisions about Theodosius II ID  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
Need precisions about Theodosius II ID
« on: March 08, 2006, 03:51:24 pm »
Hi all

I've recently got this AE3 wich I like quite a lot.
It is 16 mm, 2,25 gr with a nice dark patina and a facing bust of Theodosius II

Obv : D N THEODOSIVS AVG, diademed and cuirassed bust of the emperor facing, holding spear on his right shoulder (and shield ?)
Rev : CONCORDI--A AVGG, Constantinopolis seated, facing, looking right, holding victory on globe and sceptre. CONSA at exergue (Constantinople, 1st officina)

The reference I found are Roman coins and their values (1988 edition) # 4296, and LRBC # 2212.

The problem is that this LRBC reference is for legend #1 (D N THEODO-SIVS AVG) and I find nothing with legend #2 (D N THEODOSIVS AVG). Is there any reference more precise than that ? (RIC maybe)

Thanks in advance
Regards
Potator

vic9128

Re: Need precisions about Theodosius II ID
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 04:07:14 pm »
Helvetica only lists DN THEODO-SIVS PF AVG for this coin (RIC X 90), so maybe yours is an unrecorded legend break.

jbaran

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 06:49:46 pm »
The coin with the unbroken legend is RIC X 90...other reference given is Tolstoi 77.  It is a much rarer coin (R4) with the unbroken legendRIC 89 has the broken legend and is listed as scarce.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 05:29:19 am »
Thanks Victor and Joseph for these details and for your time. I've added the RIC reference in the description

Regards
Potator

All coins are guaranteed for eternity