Resources > NumisWiki

Wiki Dictionary of Roman Coins

(1/3) > >>

Joe Sermarini:
The Wiki Dictionary of Roman Coins is coming soon! 

J. Victoria:
After retyping several entries in the Dictionary of Roman Coins, I am reminded of a scholarly work by one P. Carroll Runyon, a student of Latin and Cicero, the "inventor (he says) of the run-on sentence."

English: "The BOY WALKED to the STORE and BOUGHT a LOAF of BREAD."

WAC (West Anglican Curmudgeon): "At some unspecified time and at an equally indeterminate location, it has been alleged by sources we may presume to credit -- at least within the parameters of this discussion -- that a male, supposedly well under the term of his majority, did (and being so described, we can assume funded for the purpose), make his way via perambulation to a commercial establishment where we are to suppose provisions were to be obtained, and having so arrived, is further said to have purchased for an undisclosed sum a standard measure of baked goods; most probably bread as the term loaf has been suggested in this context but not confirmed -- yet we can, for all practical purposes, concede the probability that the quantity of victuals may not have exceeded this single increment in light of the routine nature of the errand, the lack of auxiliary conveyance implied in the means of transit described, and the restricted pecuniary allotments most commonly assigned to those of such tender years, but to reach any more specific conclusions based on the few facts available would perhaps be imprudent."

Joe Sermarini:
I felt it necessary to make a few of the entries I typed more concise.  You don't need to type it exactly as it was written.  With NumisWiki we hope to update and improve the original entries. 

Massanutten:
  WHAT!!!!   Type AND Think?  For those who invariably get their gum stuck to their shoes that may too much!!!     ;D

J. Victoria:
Actually, my husband types the entries and I proof read them.  So, you are correct: there is no thinking *and* typing going on at the same time.

Thank you Joe for allowing some leeway.  We feel the original should be closely followed, only correcting typos and ruler names. Ruler names are important to the way Wiki links.  The authors have a habit of using variations and nicknames.  However, now we will be looking to insert [additional] edits when the text's lingo becomes confusing or could be significantly improved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version