Resources > NumisWiki

Numiswiki guide to English pronounciation of ancient words and names

(1/2) > >>

Automan:
The issue of English pronounciation of ancient words has been raised several times. I started an "article" in Numiswiki that might serve as a guide, both to non-native speakers and English native speakers who might not benefit from discussing ancient numismatics with other people often enough to pick up on how to pronounce some of the more obscure words.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=pronunciation

I hope that some of the more knowledgeable members of this Forum will help out with this project!

If there is a particular word you do not know how to pronounce, add it to the list of entries and ask someone to help out with the pronounciation.

Auto

Jerome Holderman:
Great Idea Automan! I personally have never really had the oportunity to discuss ancients conversationally with anyone so I have lots of words I am un sure of. I will add some to the list as I have time.

peterpil19:
Hey Great idea! I've already added a couple, will add more when I have time.

One question: what about when there is more than one correct prononciation of a word? i.e. U.S. versus English versus Australian (in my case) prononciation. For extreme cases, can we add alternative pronounciations and just put a (AU) or (US) in front?

--Peter

Joe Sermarini:
One of the best things about NumisWiki is you don't have to ask for permission (well for almost anything I guess).  If you want (AU), (US) and (UK), just do it!

Automan:
Good idea about adding languages to the pronounciation guide!

That really is one of the best thing about this kind of project; an idea started by someone can be improved by someone else!

Auto

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version