Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seleucid coin help please. Antiochus?  (Read 676 times)

Jude B

Seleucid coin help please. Antiochus?
« on: April 09, 2022, 05:52:05 pm »
Hi there.

I have what I believe to be a Seleucid coin, possibly displaying the diademed head of Antiochus. But which Antiochus is it? and is it a genuine coin of antiquity or a restrike?

To the reverse sits Apollo with baton and cornucopia, on a throne supported by a Neried.

I have looked at hundreds of images of Seleucid and bactrian coins online today, and while there are many with a similar reverse, I can't match the portrait, and the sitter is a younger looking ruler than any of the others I have seen.

I'd love to know more about this coin and hope that this community can assist, as I have a few other ancient coins that I would like to know more about.

It weighs 23 grams and is probably silver.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Seleucid coin help please. Antiochus?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 06:25:03 pm »
Sorry to say, but if your weight of 23 grams is correct, it must be a fake.
PeteB

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 10:06:35 pm »
The portrait is of Demetrios II when he was a child. It was issued during his first reign 147-139 BC.
The reverse inscription confirms his name.
The coins of his second reign 130-125 BC show him with a long flowing beard.
Try this link: http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/seleucia/demetrios_II/sg7053.jpg

You do not mention diameter.
And you might want to check the weight again.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 03:32:00 pm »
The variant with the monogram here is SC 1984.1: http://numismatics.org/sco/id/sc.1.1984.1
SC attributes it to the mint of Seleuceia ad Tigrim and dates with 145 BC - 141 BC.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 04:29:52 pm »
Sure would be nice if the OP would double-check the weight, and also post the diameter of the coin.

As Akropolis said above, if the weight is 23 gm, the coin is not genuine.

Jude B

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 03:44:40 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the responses here. Really helpful.

I don't know how I got the weight wrong, it does actually weigh 16g and has a diameter of 2.8cm

I hope this helps to verify it as genuine.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 02:04:39 am »
... I don't know how I got the weight wrong, it does actually weigh 16g ...
That's perfect. In SCOnline there is on each page at the bottom given an average weight of all the coins shown on the page, in this case it is 16.05 g  :)http://numismatics.org/sco/id/sc.1.1984.1

Regards

Altamura

Jude B

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 05:27:33 am »
Thank you so much for helping me with this.

It's not proper to discuss value on this forum, according to it's rules. But as a newbie here could anyone give me some clues as to where to look in order to get an idea? I have scoured the web looking for another example of this coin but drawn a blank. Is there a price guide somewhere?

Any advice would really helpful.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 09:11:01 pm »
Try doing a search on coinarchives.com. It lists values realized at auctions for many ancient coins for free for a certain number of coins. You can get an idea of current value this way, but you have to consider condition, as well as other factors. Search for SC 1984.1. There are a couple results. You can also search for the ruler and sift through probably many more results, but you have to find your specific coin. Also, wildwinds.com is great (search by ruler) for identification of coins, sometimes for some values (that will be in the text link for the coin), but only if the value was known and often quite old, still can be helpful to give you an idea. I use both to get a ballpark idea of what a coin might be worth.

Virgil

Jude B

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 07:39:22 am »
Hi Virgil,

So sorry for the late response. Your advice is extremely useful. Many thanks for helping me fully understand what I have.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity