Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Added a New Coin Depicting an Amazon to my Collection  (Read 719 times)

Offline Blindado

• Consul
Added a New Coin Depicting an Amazon to my Collection
« on: March 16, 2022, 08:13:00 pm »
This new acquisition features a fairly historically accurate portrayal of a female Scythian horse warrior, who were the real-life amazons who inspired the Greeks and Romans.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=175024

AEOLIS. Kyme. Epirus Marcellus, procos III (69-96)
AE 19

Vespasian, ΘEON CVNKΛHTON
Amazon Kyme standing left, holding trident and globe, EΠPIΩ MAPKEΛΛΩ / KY

RPC III 970, SNG Copenhagen 144

It's hard to say for certain, but it looks like Kyme is wearing a Scythian pointed hat with ear flaps, trousers, and boots, which would make this a fairly accurate portrayal if a female Scythian horse warrior, who were the actual historical amazons. There are only two examples of this coin in acsearch.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Added a New Coin Depicting an Amazon to my Collection
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 09:41:29 pm »
Very cool piece

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 03:50:36 am »

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 05:28:01 am »
Thank you, Pekka K!

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 03:40:58 pm »
Here's another, earlier depiction of an Amazon warrior with bow and wearing a pointed hat.

Cilicia, Soloi. c. 410-375 BC. AR Statercf. SNG France 2 (Cilicia) #135.  It's not in SNG Levante or von Aulock; I need to research attributions. Photo credit: Davissons Ltd.

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 04:55:19 pm »
Thank you! Here's my example of the stater with an historical writeup: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=145931

All coins are guaranteed for eternity