Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Newbie needs some advice please  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Jacob D

• Legionary
Newbie needs some advice please
« on: January 10, 2017, 05:21:31 am »
Hello everyone! I just bought my first couple uncleaned coins from [REMOVED BY ADMIN] and I accidentally overcleaned my first bronze.  The patina was already broke when I got the coin but I made it worse.  I stopped cleaning when i realized my mistake but what do I do now?   Do I leave it alone with half the patina gone or do I completely strip it and apply a false patina?  I will post pictures soon but this is my first post so it is not letting me now.  Thanks in advance for the advice.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Newbie needs some advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 08:27:41 am »
Welcome Jacob.  It really does depend.  There are some products that will "restore" patina but if they are low quality coins there''s no point.  Just chalk it up to a learning experience.  Are the coins attributable or are they more or less slugs?   You should be able to post pictures now.  Let's see them.

Offline Jacob D

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 09:38:33 am »
It isnt a slug.  I have stopped cleaning some of the others for now

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 05:50:18 pm »
Your coin is OK. It is worn and rough but it does not need anything. It isn't going to improve with a chemically induced patina. It is what it is.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jacob D

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 07:10:54 pm »
Thanks everyone for the info.  I am going to just leave it alo e

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 07:45:22 pm »
These coins (GLORIA ROMANORVM) and their sister type (SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE) are often found with horrid, soft, powdery or flaky patinas that nothing can save so you might not have done much wrong.

Though looking a bit ugly it is still identifiable and genuine.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jacob D

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 07:50:53 pm »
I was using a toothbrush  (maybe a little too vigorously) and the patina came right off.  Thats why i stopped.  I am just going to leave it the way it is.

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 08:20:26 pm »
If the patina came off with a regular toothbrush then it was very likely of the "doomed type".

If you come across something similar you can try to leave it as is.  Sometimes a gentle rub between the fingers helps.  It sometimes helps consolidate the soft patina - maybe from the bit of natural oil on your fingers.

In any event don't beat yourself up over it.

If you even get access to Renaissance Wax (Ren Wax) or other microcrystalline wax it might improve the overall appearance of this one.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 09:33:28 pm »
I was using a toothbrush  (maybe a little too vigorously) and the patina came right off.  Thats why i stopped.  I am just going to leave it the way it is.

Assuming your toothbrush has plastic bristles, not metal, it is impossible for you to be too vigorous and remove the patina.  Actual patina (the good kind) does not come off that easily.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline B-Chicago

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 11:46:08 am »
looks to me like the coin was improperly cleaned and re dirtied then sold to you

its low grade and pretty beat up but you may try boiling it in water with several table spoons of baking soda which might even out the color  and remove a little more dirt

other than that I would consider that a practice coin and you may find a new source if possible

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 04:05:52 pm »
There is a kind of crumbly, typically bluish-green patina that can be removed by scrubbing with a tooth brush. Some people say it's caused by fertilizer in the soil. You often find these in lots of 'uncleaned coins' = junk coins. You might not notice, especially if you have large numbers of coins soaking in distilled water or olive oil (which used to be recommended on every uncleaned coin website). You scrub and scrub and wonder where all those promising coins went.
Andreas Reich

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 08:31:19 pm »
Also, I think it is frowned upon to name other dealers here, especially with bad news.
Advice may have been more helpful and instructive had you posted " before" and "after" pictures.
Good luck.
PeteB

Offline Jacob D

• Legionary
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 11:02:29 pm »
Sorry.  The only reason I thought to mention the seller was to see if anyone had experience with him.  I am not at all dissapoined with what I got.

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 08:35:35 am »
Areich is right.  That is why you should always examine the coins before they go into water or oil as some should not even undergo that treatment.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity