Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Trajan fourrée with fine style but blundered legends  (Read 479 times)

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
Interesting Trajan fourrée with fine style but blundered legends
« on: September 13, 2016, 04:31:32 pm »
I have just acquired this interesting piece that I hoped would add variety to my Trajans.

It appears to be a contemporary forgery with visible base metal core and muling of obverse and reverse types.
While the portrait style is fine the latin in the legends has numerous errors. "OPIMO", "PRIMC" and "SPOR". This seems to rule out counterfeiting that uses authentic coins.

The coin raises a few questions: how "official" is this forgery? The portrait style is extremely convincing but the blundered legends surely mean no official mint was involved?
Do we know who was making such forgeries - presumably this coin could have been created anywhere in the empire?

Gallery View: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-131105

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Interesting Trajan fourrée with fine style but blundered legends
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 05:38:21 pm »
I have just acquired this interesting piece that I hoped would add variety to my Trajans.

It appears to be a contemporary forgery with visible base metal core and muling of obverse and reverse types.
While the portrait style is fine the latin in the legends has numerous errors. "OPIMO", "PRIMC" and "SPOR". This seems to rule out counterfeiting that uses authentic coins.

The coin raises a few questions: how "official" is this forgery? The portrait style is extremely convincing but the blundered legends surely mean no official mint was involved?
Do we know who was making such forgeries - presumably this coin could have been created anywhere in the empire?

Gallery View: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-131105

Plated coins in the republic and early empire were generally made by using a genuine coin impressed into a piece of metal to make the die, and then touching up the details such as the lettering on the forger's die. And then striking flans made of bronze cores wrapped in silver foil to produce the plated coin. So it is normal that the general style of the plated coin is correct, but details are often wrong, especially those which were perhaps off-flan in the coin used to make die, or worn on the original coin such as hairlines which are sometimes reengraved on the forger's die.

So, your plated coin is quite normal in that way - usual style, wrongly finished details. It was an ancient imitation, intended to deceive in ancient times and in no way official.

I've a web-page about this

http://andrewmccabe.ancients.info/Plated.html

All coins are guaranteed for eternity