Antiquities Discussion Forums > Other Antiquities

Flat base hematite weight 1/2 shekel

(1/1)

a:
Hi,

This piece is made of hematite with bronze loop. The size is 25mm (including loop) on 10mm.

It looks like egyptian or babilonian or assyrian amulet, but I can't locate similar items on the web.

Please help me with it's identification.

Best Regards,
Explorer

a:
Hello,

Looks like I finally have identified this item. I found similar in shape but heavier one on the web. The description is "JUDAEAN SPHENDONOID , FLAT BASE HEMATITE WEIGHT. 1 1/2 SHEKEL. 1500 - 1100 B.C". The weight of my item is 4.62g, so I assume that it is 1/2 shekel. The loop was attached in order to adjust the weight of sphendonoid.

Regards,
Explorer

SC:
Fascinating object.  Perfectly preserved hematite on a nicely aged ring.

SC

wileyc:
interesting weight being on bronze ring.

4.62 is heavy being 1/2 of a 9.24g shekel but the ring would add a bit of weight. Wonder if the ring was added later  for some reason. Dated as these are  to possibly 14/13 cent BCE, I consider if the ring was added later, of course the hematite could be dated later as well.

cw

a:
Hi,

Thank you fore your replies. There are few weight standards used at these times:

Ugarit Shekel - 9.4g
Phoenician shekel - 7.1g
Mesopotamian shekel - 8.1 - 8.4g
Judean shekel - 11.33g
Egyptian kedet - 9.1g

I see similar object on vcoins with similar loop. It doesn't look as later secondary use of the object, but part of original design.

Regards,
Explorer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version