Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What is the best way to conserve Iron Artifacts?  (Read 5449 times)

Offline Castvlo

• Caesar
What is the best way to conserve Iron Artifacts?
« on: May 10, 2014, 12:48:52 pm »
HI,

I have quite a few Roman iron knife blades, arrow heads, spear tips, and fire strikers.  What is the best way to preserve/conserve iron artifacts?

Thanks!

Patrick

Offline JBF

• Caesar
Re: What is the best way to conserve Iron Artifacts?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 06:23:07 pm »
Most meteorites are iron.
You might check out a meteorite forum (I assume there is such a thing somewhere).
But if you find any good answers please post them on this thread.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 06:19:57 am »
There is a big difference in terms of cleaning versus conserving.

Most iron item are stable when they are completely covered in rust.  So unless you see signs of active rust (for example bright orange dust), or your area is very humid, it is probably stable.

However, if you are not happy with a heavily corroded item and want it cleaned then you can try mechanical cleaning though the best way is electrolysis.  I can't tell you mud about that as I don't do it.  I have paid to have a few items done but have not done it myself.  However, for the methods of electrolysis on iron objects try searching the metal detector forums.  It is a bit different from the techniques used for cleaning bronze coins.

If you have a cleaned iron object you actually have to be more careful about corrosion then before it was cleaned as it is not longer stable.

If it was cleaned well and doesn't have corrosion buried deep in its interior then usually a good coat of wax is all you need.  Many European detectorists coat items in beeswax!  You could probably use other waxes, like Ren Wax, on smaller items like knives, arrow-heads, etc.

The nice thing is that if you see spots of rust starting on such an item you can clean it easily with steel wool or a soft brass brush.  It does not have a delicate patina like bronze.

Try also to keep some silica packs in ear the items.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 06:21:27 am »
I have a couple of small meteorites from the Campo del Cielo find, ( see pic ) and the guy that I bought them from first strips them with a "secret sauce" , then coats them with renaissance wax, I have had them for several years now, and as far as I can tell they have not changed in appearance, so renaissance wax seems the way to go, at least regarding meteorites...  ;D

Regarding the cleaning of iron artifacts, I believe that electrolysis is the accepted method for larger, solid pieces, and for smaller more delicate items, manual removal of loose rust, then a deep drying either by immersion in some light thinners, ( acetone, alcohol, etc..... take care.. the dangers are well documented elswhere on this board! ) , or by heating... I imagine that 110c in the oven for an hour or 2 would drive out any water without damaging the artifact...

Then a good coat of microcrystalline wax, and I have read excellent reports if you heat the item again, more gently this time, perhaps with a hairdryer,  the wax melts and runs into any cracks and crevices, to effectively completely seal the item.. ( I have never tried this, but to my mind, it makes nothing but sense )    

I have also heard that a good coating of WD40 will also seal the item, and as the WD in WD40 stands for "Water Displacement", this seems logical also, but apparently this also turns the artifact much darker, probably the same effect as olive oil has on coins...

Good look, and please post photos of your work!!

Lee.

Offline Castvlo

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 01:04:56 am »
I will, and thanks!

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 02:38:32 pm »
Hello: I collect and clean Roman imperials, almost exclusively bronzes. I also recover and restore Civil War artifacts, including iron, from the highly mineralized soils in Alabama.  I use a galvanic method known as the lye and zinc method to clean/restore iron artifacts.  You will find various explanations of this method on Civil War sites.  If you would like my process/recipe just reply and I'll describe it.

Ken

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 07:09:13 am »
Hi Ken!
    While I'm pretty sure your method will make the toes curl of many of the members here I would be very interested to hear it!! It's always good to have additions to the arsenal!!
  Best wishes,

Lee.

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 12:13:24 pm »
I'm curious as well Ken.  Post some pictures if you can.  When I first started collecting I was experimenting with cleaning methods on low-key uncleaned coins.  I work in a lab so you might guess at what methods and chemicals I tried to clean them......sadly I butchered them all, but the real slugs can sometimes give a bit of an Id when stripped-down to the bare metal.(especially with a high/low contrast on the surface)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 02:59:39 pm »
Hello all:  Picking RICs back up after a long hiatus-- really got into hunting Civil War artifacts, fossilized shark teeth, projectile points, and other stuff.  Thought I'd reply to questions re: restoring iron.  I use the lye and zinc method.  Place several pieces of zinc or zinc alloy items in a plastic bucket. I use zinc alloy lag shields you can buy at any hardware store, but they must contain zinc.  Place artifacts in the bucket, in contact with the zinc as much as possible.  Add about a cup of lye.  Then, in a WELL VENTILATED AREA, and using PPE, slowly pour hot water into the bucket fully covering the artifacts.  Lye can hurt you so be careful. DO NOT BREATH THE FUMES.  Set aside somewhere that people and pets cannot be exposed to the fumes or mixture.  Let sit for 24-48 hours-- when the artifacts stop putting off bubbles it's done. Then, wearing rubber gloves, rinse and lightly brush with a brass brush.  Repeat if necessary-- usually two cycles works and three cycles will clean up even the largest most corroded items.  I then bake at 250 or so to drive out the moisture.  The larger the artifact the longer the bake. I then preserve with 3 coats of wax.

Attached photos show bf and after of 7 out of 12 pieces of a Confederate cannon ball (planal on the inside so it brok into 12 diamond shaped pieces upon explosion).  Note the G next to the fuse hole--signifying manufacture at the Selma arsenal.

Also the nose of 100 pound Confederate artillery round fired from a gun boat into Union position in Spanish Fort. Note the brass fuse adapter still in the nose.

Ordered a 10X 20X stereo scope today and have uncleaned lots in the mail from Serbia as we speak.  Can't wait to try my hand at cleaning again.

Be safe out there.

Ken W2

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 03:53:20 pm »
Thanks for the technique Ken.  And fascinating items...

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 04:07:04 pm »
Wow—they came out great!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity