Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help Identifying a coin I purchased in Baalbek Lebanon at Temple of Jupiter  (Read 7433 times)

Joe T

Hello there, New to collecting these types of coins. I was sold a couple on a trip to Baalbek Lebanon at the site of the Roman Ruins there in 2008. The Temple of Jupiter is what I recall the large temple to be named.
The wording on the front reads: IMPCAESMIVI PHILIPPVSOVBOVS

From the research I have done it is very similar to: Saulcy 2
AE28 on the Wildwinds website at: http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/syria/heliopolis/t.html

Offline cars100

• Caesar
  • felicior Augusto, melior Traiano
Hi Joe;
Welcome to ancient collecting and this Forvm. Now for the bad news, it is a modern cast fake. It is a common practice to sell these at old historic sites. Sorry for your mis-fortune, but do not let it sour you on the hobby. Most people are honest, but you do need to keep your eyes open.
Regards,
Ray
Raymond Carson

Joe T

Thanks Ray,

How can you identify them as fakes? Is it because of where I purchased them? I can tell you that they feel authentic. They also from what I have gathered from the region (Syria) Philip I. on the one I submitted. I would like to learn how to differentiate a real from fake. Where would you suggest I start?

Joe

Offline cars100

• Caesar
  • felicior Augusto, melior Traiano
Hi Joe;
Where you bought it is not the determining factor here. It has a cast 'look' to it. There are bubbles on the surface, the style is wrong and the patina has obviously been applied. I did not have to look it up to tell it was wrong. But don't take my word for it, as there are much better experts on this forvm who can weigh in on your coin. These guy's have many years of experience and bring the best advise possible.
Ray
Raymond Carson

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Ray is right, it is very obviously a cast tourist fake.
There is no short-cut, you simply have to look at lots and lots of genuine coins, in pictures
but also in hand. It takes a while (for everybody) to even spot these 'very obvious' fakes.

This coin has the soft look, as Ray already said, that comes from casting. Unfortunately I can't find
a really sharp genuine example of the Baalbek temple so you can compare. Comparing a cast and a worn coin
will not make the difference as clear.

Andreas Reich

zeid

this one is definetly a fake...

I bought a similar one 15 years back from a small shop in Baalbek

eventhough I knew from the begining that  it was a  touristic fake...

I bought it out of curiosity hoping that it was a (copy) from a real genuine one...

for the sake of doing  some architectural and historical comparision...

though the Temple of Jupiter -the largest temple in the empire- and the temple of Bacchus  both were amazing....

going back to the coin itself...

I remember the distribution of its orange  Patina looked suspicious ...

the over all texture was too soft  to be true with its amount of details  ...

with no indication of wear and tear and years of stress ...and most important

its cross section or thickness was also a good indicator for me...

maybe I'll post a picture of it ....later

Regards...

mautza

Hi Joe,

Buying an ancient coin from a tourist site is most likely wasting money, unless you buy it as a souvenir. Selling ancient coins is restricted in many countries in the Middle East and Europe, thus you will generally end up buying a tourist cast like this one.

Collecting ancient coins is a very rewarding hobby, but if you are new to it, there is a basic rule that has to be followed: always buy from trusted sellers! In time you will learn to tell the difference between a genuine ancient coin and a fake one, but there is a long way ahead of you.

At FORVM ANCIENT COINS we encourage people to start collecting ancient coins, and besides the lifetime guarantee that we offer for the coins purchased from us, you can also return them anytime for store credit. You will thus be able to upgrade you collection in time or even change your collecting theme if your interest change.

Take care,
Cosmin

zeid

I'll post a picture of it ....later

2 modern  cast fake from Baalbek:

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
These are far better casts, the second looks very good except for the glued-on sand.
Andreas Reich

zeid

I guess they are "good" copies from  Genuine coins

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
I think so, many of these are copies of copies.
Andreas Reich

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
These are far better casts, the second looks very good except for the glued-on sand.

The second coin was originally struck in silver so this is pretty obviously wrong on several counts.   

Also, lets repeat a truth of coins:  Items sold at sites have less a chance of being genuine than you have winning the lottery without buying a ticket.  That is good since most places would be happy to arrest you if you were to actually buy a real coin at a site.

Joe T

Thanks Ziad,

Some major differences in the coin I have and yours. I really appreciate your help. I'll try and get some pics up of my trip to baalbek last year...Although, I not sure much has changed since you were there 15 yrs ago.

Joe

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Doug, I'm not saying it looks genuine but that it looks good.
I had one of these once with such a nice dark toning it looked almost like a bronze coin
with a black patina.

Joe, the difference is mainly due to the fact that your coin is a copy of a copy of a genuine coin (or a modern fake).
Much like copying a copy of a page from a book, the quality deteriorates with each 'generation'.
Andreas Reich

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Zeid,

In some ways your fake one almost looks better than my real one!  :(

regards

Mark

zeid

I'll try and get some pics up of my trip to baalbek last year...Although, I not sure much has changed since you were there 15 yrs ago.

Joe

Sure...Why Not ...Baalbek is a must see destination for all the fans of  Roman civilization ...

The real Beatuy of Baalbek Temples that it hasn't  changed that much since 2 millenia

Regards

Zeid,

Are you serious ?

No way man....

:)

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Zeid,

regards

Mark

In WHAT ways?
The fake looks HORRIBLE and your genuine coin is GORGEOUS!
Be glad.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Ok Ok, I will take it back.  I was just taken a little aback that the fake cast coin had such great detail.  The feathers on the eagle, the beard and hair on Philip etc, all looked really good to me.  But of course you are right that I am lucky to be the caretaker of the real tet, and thank you for helping me see sense.

regards

Mark

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
LOL! :laugh:
You've got a coin with beautiful detail there. I am envious! Seriously.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
This Philip Heliopolis......
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 08:30:22 am »
Hi,

This Philip Heliopolis has just appeared on a dealer website and it looks to be from the same impression/die that created the coin at the start of  the topic, albeit with a convincing encrustation/patination. So my question is "is this latest coin also fake?"

Your comments as always appreciated.

Regards,

Mauseus

zeid

Re: Help Identifying a coin I purchased in Baalbek Lebanon at Temple of Jupiter
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 04:28:22 pm »
It's hard to judge from this picture alone.

Do you have a higher resolution picture ?

mmm....well I am not sure ,let us see what others may say about it.

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 10:10:40 pm »
Not to pick nits, but actually the Phillip the Arab Tets are occasionally of such base silver as to look bronze.  See the following post:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=31884.msg204983#msg204983

Eugene
Eugene

misterbeal

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 03:33:45 pm »
On a visit to Baalbek in 1970 I bought a Phillip the Arab Heliopolis from an Arab with a cigar box full of coins. He asked $60, but since customers were scarce -- I was the only Western within nearer than Beirut -- I got the coin for $3. The details are so sharp that, despite the patina and "feel," I can't help suspecting a fake. I'd post a picture, but I can figure out the drill.  :'(

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 03:43:45 pm »
Certainly fake but no reason to be all  :'( about it.
It's a souvenir, you should be  ;D that you only paid $3.
Andreas Reich

misterbeal

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 04:45:17 pm »
Thanks, Areich, for confirming my strong suspicion. My coin looks eerily like the cast fake posted above by Zeid, except that the counterfeiter cooked a black patina on it. I'm not really  :'(. I needed an interesting fake in my small collection of ancients.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity