Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: heavy clipped bronze coin listed as 'Roman' British metal detecting find...  (Read 513 times)

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
Dear All,

I have come to this Paradise once again, to figure out what sort of coin this is, that I bought from an online auction site, this just arrived today.
It is clearly been clipped sometime in its past..to a dimension of 23 X 25 mm, a squarish shape.
But the coin is thick and heavy, I hope to get it weighed, it is Bronze I think.

The scan shows..
Obverse: some legend, I think Latin, I can make out the letters 'R' 'E' 'C' or 'S' _ _ (illegible letters) 'A'    I have highlighted the beading/edging dots.
There is left the bust of a person facing left, with short curly hair, just make out the brow and lower down, the nostril/nose.
Reverse: Figure Standing, facing right, wearing greek style helmet, holding spear to attack with right hand, holding large round shield in left hand. Possibly draped as I can see the outline of drapery/robe.
If this scan, from before I gave it a light clean, is too poor to judge, I will scan it again, as much of the grime was easily removed.

The seller, here in Britain, said it was from a metal detecting find...whether it was here or abroad he did not state, but I can email him, hopefully he will reply...

Thankyou all in advance...
Masis
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
Re: heavy clipped bronze coin listed as 'Roman' British metal detecting find...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:14:06 pm »
As an idea of weightage..I have a Dupondius of emperor Domitian, and this coin feels heavier than that..
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 03:20:44 pm »
It looks like an ancient imitation of an As of Claudius with Minerva on reverse.

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=16130

Stefan

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 03:30:00 pm »
Thankyou Stefan! :)
A very fast reply, wow! I was just browsing some Julius Caesar Dupondi..I was trying to whittle down the time span..it 'looked' like it was from the Caesarian era...

Yes, if this really was found metal detecting here in Britain..having tryed to sus out what sort of Latin legend this is, but surely 'looking' Roman..but primitve artwork, I had a inkling that is could be a ancient, native/British copy...but I preffer the definate opinion of an expert, thankyou again Stefan.

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 03:43:20 pm »
p.s. I have bookmarked acsearch.info  ;) A new search engine for ancient coins..great!

nemo

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 05:05:34 pm »
Your coin is probably not clipped, just struck on a crudely prepared squarish flan. Imitations of this type were produced between the Roman invasion of Britain in AD 43 and about AD 65 when supplies of good official coins became available under Nero.

Offline quisquam

• Caesar

All coins are guaranteed for eternity