Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sept. Sev. Alexandria, Victory thoughts please  (Read 594 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Sept. Sev. Alexandria, Victory thoughts please
« on: May 01, 2008, 02:50:18 pm »
I have the following denarius of Septimius Severus from Alexandria:-

I have it attributed as follows:-

Septimius Severus denarius
Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG, Laureate head right
Rev:P M TR P II COS II, Victory advancing right, holding wreath and palm
Minted in Alexandria, A.D. 194
References:– BMCRE -., RIC 350B (Rare - citing Vienna), RSC -.

Another member has suggested another alternative:-

"Perhaps, "P P "is missing at the end on the obverse due to a lack iof metal, the ... In this case, in BMCRE, it is 325note "Denarius of these types, Vienna" and in RSC it is 383a but has "advancing l." in error."

I cannot see any sign of the additonal "P P" on the coin in hand but was wondering what the opinion of others was with this coin.

Regards,
Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Sept. Sev. Alexandria, Victory thoughts please
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 01:33:29 pm »
It will be Bickford-Smith, unpublished draft, p. 111, no P P, recording five specimens, which comprise two groups of die duplicates, both rev. dies with the tribunician number split I - I by Victory's head, as on your coin.  There is not enough room for P P on your coin anyway, and if it were there, one would have to see the bottom of the letters.

B-S p. 112 records three specimens with P P, all with a different legend split, TR P - II.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity