Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hosted website changes  (Read 912 times)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Hosted website changes
« on: April 08, 2020, 10:10:13 am »
While commenting on the adjacent post regarding Joe's work in making hosted sites smartphone compatible a thought occurred to me. I checked my Historia site and found that every page has had an extra line of code added to it - which is absolutely fine with me. Joe, it must have taken hours - there must be a thousand pages there!

I sometimes re-load pages when I find a typo or broken link and create new pages. So it seems to me that I need to add the extra line of code when I do this. Again, not a problem, but just thought I would flag it up.

Now if I could just learn to use a smartphone properly....
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Hosted website changes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 01:53:53 pm »
That extra line of code just makes the page display a little better on phones. It is exactly the same line I want to add to the Japanese site we host.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Hosted website changes
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 12:26:21 am »
I sometimes re-load pages when I find a typo or broken link and create new pages. So it seems to me that I need to add the extra line of code when I do this.

Hi PD,

I had the same problem regarding my hosted website.

I keep a copy of my website pages on my hard drive and flash drive. If I needed to correct a typo or add a new coin, it would over-write and delete any changes Joe made on his server, including that extra line of code.

I could have added that extra line of code as I went along, but it would have been too confusing. I have approximately 550 pages. Eventually, I would have lost track of which pages had it and which ones didn't. So, I decided to do it all at once. I basically "reverse engineered" it. Instead of uploading pages to Joe's server (which is what I normally do), I downloaded the edited pages (the ones that included the extra lone of code) to my hard drive and flash drive. That involved moving 550 pages 2 times each (hard drive and flash drive), for a total of 1,100 pages moved. Because I don't trust those automatic programs messing around with my hard drive, I did it manually, page by page. It took me over 2 hours to move those 1,100 pages.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity