Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Odessos, Marcus Aurelius, Eques  (Read 643 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Odessos, Marcus Aurelius, Eques
« on: September 08, 2009, 02:33:13 pm »
This coin is well documented, but I got it before I joined Forvm, it had only been scanned previously, I had put off photographing Odessos out of boredom with the figure of the Great God Darzalos and now have done it, so here it is.  Well published, but one doesn't often see it.  Remarkable for only 18mm.  The puzzle to me is why Odessos produced such nice coins in the 2nd century but beginning with the Severans seems to have lost interest. 
• 25 04 03 AE 18 OdessosMarcus Aurelius, youthful, laureate, draped bust to r. AV KAI MAR AVR    ANTONEINOS.  Rev., Youth, apparently naked except for chlamys around shoulder, but apparently laureate, carrying spear, point toward ground, riding full-maned and loose-tailed horse to r.  Unlike some Severan horses, this one's gait is correct.  ODES S  EI    TON.  Not quite certainly, but probably, the same dies as illustrated.  Pick, AMNG I, 2, p. 557, no. 2248, pl. IV, 24; Varbanov I, p. 242, no. 3394, illus.
CLICK
Pat L.

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: Odessos, Marcus Aurelius, Eques
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 04:06:32 pm »
What a sensitive portrait of the young Aurelius, and such a gracefully prancing horse. Even the horse tail is remarkable. And only 18 mm! Truly remarkable.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline SVLLAIMP

• Consul
Re: Odessos, Marcus Aurelius, Eques
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 04:10:54 pm »
Very nice, the horse is truly spectacular.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity