Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Forum purchase o' the day  (Read 143732 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Forum purchase o' the day
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2008, 05:42:17 pm »
I'd have thought that a Probus quinarius would be rare enough to qualify as COTD, as I never saw one here before.  Thank you for it.  Shoud I tell you what I do (off line) with RAW images?  Pat

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2008, 07:46:48 pm »
I'd have thought that a Probus quinarius would be rare enough to qualify as COTD, as I never saw one here before.  Thank you for it.  Shoud I tell you what I do (off line) with RAW images?  Pat

I expect that depends on how much you like them!

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2008, 03:06:00 am »
I am not a collectore, but I couldent stay away from this ring with Augustus Portrit

Roman silver ring, large man's silver ring, early 1st Century A.D., inset with a struck silver cameo, a laureate portrait of Augustus, probably a cut-down denarius from Lugdunum, c. 2 - 14 A.D. EF, with original toning.

A26399. Silver ring, Augustus portrait "cameo," inside diameter approximately 21 mm (U.S. size 11 - 12), c. 2 - 14 AD; ex Forum

I already have an offer to sell it but I will keep it tell I got a much nicer ancient Gold Ring that fit my fingure.

Thanks my dear friend Joe.
regards
Salem

Offline Jeremy W

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2008, 09:38:27 am »
I've been looking at that ring, but it's way out of my price range.  Great purchase, I'm jealous :)

Jeremy

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2008, 01:36:46 pm »
I couldent pass on it, and it was much nicer in hand, when I got it I talked to Joe right away and thank him  ;D
Salem

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2008, 03:10:14 pm »
I had an eye on the ring to but alas out of my price range as well. Its a unique find and I really wouldn't want to part with it if i owned it!
Also the Balbinus denarius above is beautiful, very nice detail!
Adversus solem ne loquitor

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2008, 05:39:45 pm »
Heheheh Roma
it wasent good invistment  ;D my wife want me to buy here a ring for double what I paid for this ring  >:(, which I will do for sure so I dont start a war, so this ring will cost me extra $1500 next to what I paid for it  :-\, it was a good deal tell she saw it in my fingure hehehhe
it is a keeper ring and I am glad to have it in my fingure, it is like it was mad for my fingure  ;D
regards
Salem

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2008, 11:58:28 pm »
I also had my eye on that ring for a long time.  Beautiful! Next time your in town you've got to bring it, I'd love to see it in person!

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2008, 01:37:17 pm »
Quote from: ROMA on March 20, 2008, 03:10:14 pm
Also the Balbinus denarius above is beautiful, very nice detail!

Thanks ROMA!!  ;) Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2008, 04:52:31 pm »
I had a package through the letterbox this morning from Joe.

Silver drachm
Obv:Head of Herakles right clad in lion's head headdress.
Rev:BASILEWS LUSIMACOU, Zeus seated left on throne, eagle extended in right, long vertical scepter in left, forepart of lion over DI on left, K under throne
Minted in Colophon mint from . B.C. 299 - 296.
Ref:– Thompson 125, Müller -

A lovely coin in hand. Not quite the same as a great big Tetradrachm but still a very nice coin. It will have to suffice until I can afford to buy myself a nice Lysimachos Tetradrchm.

Regards,
Martin

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2008, 05:22:33 pm »
Very nice but quite a departure from Probus or Lugdumum!
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2008, 05:29:09 pm »
Very nice but quite a departure from Probus or Lugdumum!

I haven't added much to my Probus or Lugdunum collections of late and after a lot of consideration I splashed out on the start of what I hope will be a new wing to my collection and along with a another whole branch of numismatics that I know not enough about (as if I needed another one of those!).
Regards,
Martin

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2008, 03:45:39 am »
In my opinion, you'll have a hard time topping that Colophon AlexanderPat L.
P.S.  Perhaps not even the Seleukos I, but one really needn't choose.

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2008, 04:49:02 pm »
Another recent purchase from Joe...

Cappadocian Kingdom, Silver Tetradrachm, In the Name of the Seleukid King, Antiochos VII 
Obv:– Diademed head of the Seleukid King Antiochos VII right, fillet border.
Rev:BASILEWS ANTIOCOU EUERGETOU, Athena standing left, Nike in right, spear and shield in left, ligate DI / A left, Nike extends wreath into laurel wreath border
c. 130 - 80 B.C.; In the Name of the Seleukid King, Antiochos VII, 138 - 129 B.C.
Ref:– Houghton II 642 (same dies), SNG Spaer 1855, Newell SMA 282
Grey tone to the silver.

The following from the Forvm catalog description:-

Oliver Hoover, in Coins of the Seleucid Empire from the Collection of Arthur Houghton, attributes this type to the Cappadocian Kingdom, c. 130 - 80 B.C. The symbols were used on Cappadocian royal coinage, the coins are found in Cappadocian hoards and a tetradrachm naming the Cappadocian king Ariarathes VII Philometor (116 - 99 B.C.) bears the obverse portrait of Antiochus VII. He notes they may have been struck to pay foreign (Syrian?) mercenaries who preferred the types of Antiochus VII.
Graded as gVF and is a chunky 30.2mm, 16.451g.

I haven't developed a new theme to me new wing of my collection yet other than coins of decent quality that appeal to me in one way or another. It almost feels like I have started to collect all over again!

Regards,
Martin

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2008, 04:56:50 pm »
Martin, I feel much the same.
After getting rid of all my diverse coins a while ago I am starting to buy them all over again
although in much better quality. Here's my tet from FORVM, it surely made my day.

Silver tetradrachm, Prieur 720 (1 example), SNG Paris 2331, Weber -, VF, 13.043g, 26.9mm, 180o, Aegeae mint, 132 - 133 A.D.; obverse AUTOKR KAIS TRAIA ADRIANO SEB P P, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right; reverse ETOUS •QOR• AIGEAIWN, eagle standing facing on harpe, wings spread, head turned right, goat in ex; rare;

Aegeae issued tetradrachms only during the reigns of Hadrian and Caracalla. The issues were probably related to visits of these emperors to the town or to its famous sanctuary of Asclepius. -- The Syro-Phoenician Tetradrachms and Their Fractions from 57 BC to AD 253 by Michel and Karin Prieur

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2008, 01:51:45 am »
Actually, I bought this a few months ago, but the coin is nice enough, and the city seems to have coined infrequently enough, to post it here.

S. Severus, AE29 Paphlagonia, Germanicopolis. 14.01 g.  BMC 6 (or perhaps only the same obverse die with a different reverse; would love to hear from anyone with a copy of BMC on this).

Obv.  Cuirassed bust right.  AVT.KL.CEP.CEOYHPOC
REV.  Demeter standing.  APX.PAF.GEPMANIKOPOLEWC

George Spradling
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2008, 02:02:41 am »
Also, because I just found this and it was one of the first handful of coins bought at Forvm, back in the days when I bought Imperial issues, the following Carausius, SAECVLI_F_ELICITA reverse, no mint mark.  Geo. S.

Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2008, 04:09:24 am »
Hi!

When it comes to the British Empire I want to show my Allectus acquired some years before from Forum:

Allectus 293 - 296, British Empire
AR - Antoninianus, 3.97g, 22.6mm
Camulodunum 293 - 296
obv. IMP C ALLECTVS PF AVG
draped, cuirassed bust, radiate head r.
rev. LAETI - T [A]VG
Laetitia standing l., holding wreath r. and anchor l.
field: S and P
exergue: C
RIC V, 76; C.16
about VF, portrait!

ANCHOR, because the power of Allectus based on his fleet

Best regards

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2008, 02:18:34 am »
That is a wonderful image of Allectus, you rarely find them that nice
Adversus solem ne loquitor

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2008, 04:41:43 am »
I have to second ROMA, Jochen your Allectus has a great portrait

Potator

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2008, 05:14:57 pm »
Still have to work on those pics wich do not do justice to the coin...

Corinth. Silver stater, Pegasi I 283, Ravel 779, VF, weight 7.879 g, maximum diameter 21.0 mm, die axis 90o, obverse Pegasos bridled, standing on exergue line, right front leg raised, archaized curled wings, koppa below; reverse head of Athena (or Aphrodite) right in Corinthian helmet left, dolphin above, thymiaterion and ivy leaf behind.

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2008, 07:57:33 pm »
you ever look at a nice coin , and it looks back at you with a poor puppy dog look,  well you can't just leave it there can you ?

this is by far a rare coin,  but I do get to be the caretaker for a bit.  This coin gave me that  the wet puppy  look ,sitting all by itself in forvm's e-bay auction

I don't collect the type,  but  I had to bid. and luckly for me, won. 

here is Forvm's attribution  and pics  for this coin, as it is not yet in hand

Bronze AE 15, BMC Lydia p. 280, 14, VF, Silandus mint, 2.476g, 15.2mm, obverse CILAN-DOC, turreted bust of city-goddess right; reverse CILANDEWN, crescent and two stars

If you haven't checked out forvm's e-bay auctions yet,  there is a fantastic assortment of coins  all starting  at 0.99 cents US and selling  for very descent prices.   No  this is not a solicitation, or a lame attempt to get brownie points from Joe.................. ( unless it works  :)  )   but  I was quite impressed  at the coins listed

let me know what you think

cheers

Offline fordicus

• Consul
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2008, 08:48:19 pm »
I actually JUST ordered these beauties I've had my eye on for a while  ;D

top coin is - Caracalla Silver denarius, RIC IV 24A, VF, 3.1400g, 19.6mm, 0o, Laodicea ad Mare mint, 198 A.D.; obverse IMP CAE M AVR ANT AVG P TR P, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, from behind; reverse FIDES PVBLICA, Fides standing left, stalks of grain in left, basket of fruit in right; rare

bottom coin is - Geta Silver denarius, RIC IV 13a, RSC III 90, SRCV II 7184, Van Meter 24, VF, 3.157g, 20.2mm, 0o, Rome mint, as Caesar, 199 A.D.; obverse P SEPT GETA CAES PONT, boy's bare-headed and draped bust right; reverse NOBILITAS, Nobilitas standing right, long vertical scepter in right, palladium in left; nice portrait

gavignano

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2008, 10:04:45 pm »
really love the boy Caracalla obverse! Looks like nice gunmetal type, or a bit darker, toning.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2008, 11:32:26 pm »
I just recieved this one yesterday. I like the Syrian mint busts better, but I really loved the reverse. I am reading the Birley biography of Septimius Severus right now and am just getting to this part. He was really working hard on cementing his legacy and was really pushing Caracalla and Geta on the people in a big way.

Anyway, this is the Forvm pic as I am still fiddling with my new camera and have yet to get it just right. Let me tell you that the pic doesnt do the coin justice though. It is beautiful in hand! Thanks Joe!

Silver denarius, RIC IV 226, RSC III 525, gVF, 3.251g, 19.5mm, 0o, Rome mint, 209 A.D.; obverse SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right; reverse P M TR P XVII COS III P P, Jupiter standing between Caracalla and Geta, naked except for cloak on left shoulder, holding thunderbolt and scepter
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

All coins are guaranteed for eternity