Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fully silvered Quintillus OTD  (Read 519 times)

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Fully silvered Quintillus OTD
« on: May 13, 2023, 06:11:45 am »

Sometimes a Roman silvered coin from the Late Empire makes it all the way down to the 21st century with its silvering intact.  I've had this one for a while and was just looking at it in the sunlight today and thought it might make a nice Coin of the Day.

Quintillus, (c. A.D. 270), billon antoninianus, Rome mint, (3.34 g), obv. radiate and draped bust of Quintillus to right, around IMP QVINTILLVS AVG, rev. Mars standing left, holding branch and spear, around MARTI PACI, officina letter [P] in exergue, (S.11447, RIC. 58).

Steve

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Re: Fully silvered Quintillus OTD
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 10:42:09 am »
Steve,

Beautiful coin.

Tracy

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 10:58:06 am »

Thanks Tracy glad you like it too!

Best regards,

Steve

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 11:03:10 am »
Wonderful, don't see that often.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 09:42:57 am »

Thanks Matt, yes you are right, you don't see a fully silvered Quintillus very often. That is why I was keen to get at it the time, and all these years later I still haven't seen another example with all the silvering still intact.

Steve

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 10:02:27 am »
Nice coin.  On most of the quintillus coins I see, usually Billon antoninianii that are so debased they just look like regular AEs, it's debatable whether they ever had any silvering
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 10:26:25 pm »

Thanks Ron C2. If the coin actually has a higher than typical silver content for the series it would explain why it still has a silver appearance. To find out if it has indeed been silvered, I would have to see if I could scratch some silvering off. which I'm not prepared to try. But if the silver content is high enough for it to still appear silver even now, you would have to ask why it would have been done at the time. It would have still circulated at the value of all the other Quintillus billon ants at the time that contained next to no silver- but at a far greater cost to produce with no monetary advantage gained.

I think what we may be seeing is the silvering process used by the mint on behalf of Quintillus was not as robust or long lasting as it would be later on, such as seen on a follis of Diocletian. That would mean the survival rate of Quintillus ants retaining any silvering would be very small.

So, is it a much higher than normal silver content example? Or a very rare, still silvered survivor? Either way I'm pleased to have spotted it.

Steve

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2023, 07:46:53 am »
Quote from: gallienus1 on May 13, 2023, 06:11:45 am
I've had this one for a while and was just looking at it in the sunlight today and thought it might make a nice Coin of the Day.

Better late than never! A really beautiful coin indeed.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 10:41:23 am »

Thanks David!

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 03:39:04 pm »
A nice portrait for the emperor, congrats.

Regards
kc

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2023, 03:18:13 am »

Thanks kc. Yes, the portrait is very interesting because although being simply rendered, it seems to remain remarkably realistic at the same time.

Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity