Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Extremely Rare Domitian 'PONT' Denarius COTD  (Read 315 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Extremely Rare Domitian 'PONT' Denarius COTD
« on: March 26, 2023, 12:49:23 am »
Wow. I never thought I'd own one of these!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=181636

In hand.

https://youtu.be/A-y8SBdkNpU

Thank you for looking!

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: Extremely Rare Domitian 'PONT' Denarius COTD
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 04:53:13 am »

Congratulations David for finding such a rare coin. The outline of the circumstances surrounding the issue you have provided with the image of the coin is very interesting. It could be argued that it was simple vanity that made him want to assume the titles so quickly.  Equally it could be that he saw his position as a divine opportunity to accomplish an enormous amount; and didn't want to waste time. Hit the ground running as it were. To me hostile historians have led to Domitian being an underappreciated emperor. He may well have simply wanted to have the tiles bestowed quickly so that he could get on with the job.

Best regards,

Steve

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 11:23:43 am »
Well done, catching this rarity & giving us a nice writeup to share what makes it special! Interesting to consider how the coin might serve as evidence for understanding just a bit more about the transition of power from Titus to Domitian, and the relationships between Emperor, Senate, and military in the late 1st Cent.

We gloss all the titles (and titles and titles...) with "Caesar," "Augustus," or just "Emperor." (Perfectly reasonable to do so, of course.) But this type is a great reminder that all those titles and roles are actually contingent processes (at least their timing is), rather than automatic. I assume it was a more-or-less foregone conclusion that the Senate would award Domitian with those titles, but reading your gallery explanation, I realize I don't actually know most of their specific purposes -- what powers or sense of legitimacy each of them afforded -- or the consequences of delaying or leaving them unassigned.

This is the kind of coin & commentary that I love to see in the Galleries!
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 12:47:03 pm »
Outstanding acquisition!

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 11:07:37 pm »
Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity