Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nero As - Bronze disease?  (Read 701 times)

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
Nero As - Bronze disease?
« on: October 23, 2020, 05:30:50 am »
Hello ladies and gentlemen,
Just received my Nero As and I would like top confirm if this is BD or not.
The outside of the reverse is heavily exfoliated and the rim appears to have green deposits.

I don't want to ruin this coin as in the past my cleaning experiments turned out to be disasters.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Nero As - Bronze disease?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 05:33:55 pm »
Is the light green powdery or hard and solid?

If the coin has been waxed that might be hard to tell, though one option is to use a very sharp pin and poke through the wax.

It might have BD that has been sealed under wax and is temporarily stable or might just be hard green encrustations.

In any even it looks like the remaining patina surface is potentially fragile and could flake off so be careful.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
Re: Nero As - Bronze disease?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 03:01:55 pm »
Hi  Otlichnik,
I thought I replied to this, apologies.
Thank you for your answer.
From what I read in this forum and other resources, that was bronze disease.
I removed it (quite easily, that was not a good sign) all of it, from what I saw using the magnifying glass.
The coin is strange, as on the edges it simply exfoliated (never seen this before) but it has an attractive olive-ish patina.
The obverse is in a better shape than might seem.
Will inspect it in the future to see if the problem re-appears.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity