Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How to overlay images of two coins?  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
How to overlay images of two coins?
« on: August 05, 2020, 11:01:32 am »
Dear photography experts,
I need to overlay images of two coins to make areas of similarity and dissimilarity more visible. What is the best way of doing this?

Thank you.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Re: How to overlay images of two coins?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 11:47:45 pm »
There are many image processing programs that will allow what is termed 'layers'.  I have Adobe Photoshop Elements but there are many others I am sure will work as well.  I just have not used others.

To use layers, you copy one coin image into the 'clipboard' and paste it over the other image creating a second layer.  This will hide the coin underneath.  In the upper right corner in Elements, there is a control that is labeled Opacity.  Click on the arrow to open a slider that will allow you to reduce the transparency/opacity of the top coin so you can see through it to the coin below.  Start around 50% but different coins may require a bit more or less to show details best.  You also will need to drag the image around to align the two.  You may also need to resize or rotate a bit if you did not shoot the two at exactly the same settings.  A lot depends on how accurately the two images match so a little processing of the images may help a lot.  Of course this requires practice.  This is easier to do after a few months of working with your individual software.  It is MUCH easier to do than to explain but not knowing what softwere you are using makes it impossible to give detailed instructions.

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 11:39:54 am »
(Collagerator) the best..

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 11:40:27 am »

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 12:20:30 pm »
To use layers, you copy one coin image into the 'clipboard' and paste it over the other image creating a second layer.  This will hide the coin underneath.  In the upper right corner in Elements, there is a control that is labeled Opacity.  Click on the arrow to open a slider that will allow you to reduce the transparency/opacity of the top coin so you can see through it to the coin below.  

Thanks, Doug!  I've often wondered how to do this in Elements.  These instructions are quite clear.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity